My Kids

My Kids

Friday, May 25, 2012

Ultrasounds and Gender

A couple of forgotten points about Alex:

1.  By the time I was about 15 weeks pregnant - I knew that this baby was a girl.  Everytime I thought about that baby - I could only think about it as a she.  So much so, that when a colleague offered me his hand-me-down baby girl clothes, I took them and moved them to Texas.  And, of course, I was right.

2.  I did go for my 20 week ultrasound - but back then, they never told you the sex of the baby.  They didn't tell you anything at all, you just had to wait and talk to your doctor on your next appointment.  Also, back then, they took an ultrasound of the mother's kidneys as part of the exam.  So when I went, the ultrasound tech kept asking me over and over again to roll onto one side - but of course she wasn't allowed to tell me what was going on.  When I went to my next doctor's visit - he told me that I was missing a kidney!  Who knew?  Not me, that's for sure.

No comments: