My Kids

My Kids

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Awards Marathon



Coleman and Sam go to the same juniour high...which is normally great because it means combined band concerts/assemblies etc.  But not today...nope for the Awards Day they have 2 assemblies...one for the grade 7 and 8's and one for the grade 9's.

Now, the upside of this, is that for most years, each of these ceremonies is shorter than if they were combined, which translates nicely into less time spent on a hard chair.  But this year is the one bad year for me - or more precisely, for my butt - this year I have a kid in grade 7 and one in grade 9.  So I had  to attend BOTH ceremonies...one from 9 until 11, and the second from 11 until 1.  It was, as the title of this post attests, an awards marathon.  And I hate to brag about my kids in this forum (see below), but THANK GOODNESS they each got 4 awards and I wasn't sitting there for 4 hours just to see them get the "Good Effort" mention from the podium.

[I do like to brag about my kids, I am proud of their achievements, but let's be real...this blog is about ME, ME and ME!!!]

Back to the big awards day...for those who are wondering (or who have ever driven, shopped, or ran with me), I did have to take a bathroom break in the middle. And Sam also won the monthly school spirit award...which comes with $10 to spend at the school store.  Whew (I thought to myself at the time), now I can get some much needed nourishment to get through the rest of the ceremony.  But, of course, I didn't make him buy me anything.  I did, however, text that to my sister, and she said and I quote "Whew, good thing, now you don't have to bully any little kids for their lunch money."  She's funny.  Because I would never, never do that.  I would just threaten to kiss them unless they paid up...that's not really "bullying".  Also, I would never, never, never TEXT during an awards ceremony...that exchange must have just happened in my mind...


Anyway, here's a video highlight of the day...Coleman was the mid-ceremony entertainment.  You can watch this if you want...or show it to any teenaged girls you know, they generally enjoy this kind of thing.

4 comments:

Renee said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! What a talented kid!

I'm burned out on awards days and had a very grumpy attitude this year. Especially when I stood out in the heat for an hour to see my Sophia get "nicest friend" award. What is that?!!!

Okay, I am now officially the worst mom ever.

Cindy Brooks said...

Coleman is awesome! And he chose the best song ever.

Amy said...

How come I didn't even know he sang and played the piano? He is fantastic!! I have two teenaged girls - what do you think about arranged marriages?

Bonnie White said...

Oh he is going to break a few hearts and win even more.