[oh, and Merry Christmas everyone]
About 5 years ago, we decided at the very last minute to cook a turkey for a major holiday (can't remember which one), so I had to buy a fresh turkey because I didn't have time to thaw a frozen bird. I was sold...no more frozen for me. I thought the fresh was worth the increase in price (and it's a big one) in order to have the increase in moistness and tastiness.
UNTIL THIS YEAR!!!
This year, our Christmas celebration was just with the 7 of us. No extended family, so no need for a giant bird. So, when I was offered a smaller sized but free frozen turkey at Superstore - "free" with my $250 worth of groceries that is - I took it. And then I decided to brine the darn thing. And it changed my life. This was hands down the juciest and most delicious turkey I have ever cooked. I will always, always do this. Always. And the money I save can just go towards more presents for myself.
Of course, next year, when I think ... "was it really worth the hassle to brine this turkey or should I just thaw and bake?" ... I need to remember this post. Because it is worth the hassle.
Stay tuned over the next few days for some more exiciting Christmas posts...with pictures!
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


3 comments:
Next year I think I am going to take the plunge and brine the turkey and then cook it in the smoker. Everyone around here raves that this is the best way to do a turkey.
Last year, I brined our Winters Farm turkey and not sure if it were the brining or the organic diet but that bird was positively juicy and delish. This year we did brunch. No bird. But we have one given to us again this year and it will make a lovely dinner again even if from its frozen state. Did you have a brine package or did you make your own? And if the latter, share please.
We've brined every bird for the last 3 years and it's awesome. The white meat is delicious and you don't have to choke down the dry bits.
Never go back!
Post a Comment