So today I ran 21K (13.1 mi for you Americans). It's been about 8 years since I last ran long distances like this...and let me tell you - I can feel every single one of those 8 years. Running at 40 is different than running at 32.
First, let's be conservative and assume I've gained around 5 lbs per year...do the math. So there is a lot more of me that I'm carting around now.
But it's more than that: my toes hurt, my ankles ache, my one hamstring is extra tight, I have to actually stretch afterwards now, and it really takes me about 4-5 kilometers to stop hurting and start enjoying!!
But the biggest difference...in this morning's 2 hour run I took 2 bathroom breaks! Luckily I had planned my route correctly and was able to have "real bathroom" breaks and not "hiding in the bushes" breaks.
Thankfully, as of this upcoming weekend, ALL of the washrooms in Fish Creek Park will be open (some close in the winter), so things won't be so urgent, if you know what I mean.
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


7 comments:
That's a half marathon! I'm sooooo impressed, J. Are you training for a full?
Running is seriously hard on the body, but it becomes addictive after a while. Keep it up!
Holy Moly, that is amazing. I did 5k on Monday (my first run of the season) and I was sore enough with that.
As for the bathroom breaks, I purposely dehydrate myself for workouts. I know it's bad for me, but I do it anyway.
Good for you Janine - I'm a little jealous and just as soon as my knee is fixed - June 29th - I want to do some serious miles - at least that is my hope - that 21 km distance is such an accomplishment - and feels soooo good - after you are finished!
Way to go girl! Like you, I'd rather wear out than rust out. Happy running!
Atta girl! Nothing replaces or surpasses running! Yup things hurt and ache and maybe you are carrying a little more baggage. But you are moving - feeling the wind - clearing the mind - filling your soul. I would gladly accept any pain or ache to run again.
I never thought about bathroom breaks. Where do you go?
Wow that is AMAZING!! Congrats--was that just an ordinary "hey I think I'll do a long run today" run?
Post a Comment