My Kids

My Kids

Saturday, May 29, 2010

SHH....It's a secret

So the past few weeks I've spent gardening. Some of this may have already been mentioned, but let me give a list of my recent activities:

-James dug a new flower bed in the front, and built it up with landscaping ties
-We had a 7 cubic yards of dirt/compost dumped behind our garage and I used a shovel and wheelbarrow to fill that flowerbed
- I planted perennials
-I then wheelbarrowed in a bunch more dirt into our existing veg garden that needed a lot of help. Coleman and James also took their turns doing this.
-I spread more dirt over dead patches in our lawn and planted grass seed
-I dug up another dead patch of lawn and replanted some of the sod from the flowerbed creation
-I planted some annuals in my flower boxes
and finally - we all helped to plant our veg garden last weekend.

Here's the secret part...I loved it all! I loved being outside, with the sunshine, the flowers, the green grass, my apple tree. I loved doing the work, even when my arms screamed "no more wheelbarrows!" I loved having a set list of projects and working through them all. Who knew? I love yard work??? Crazy.

Of course, during all of this time, I never saw one worm...which made it all okay.

The sad thing, however, is that since its been snowing since Thursday, I'm sure everything is going to die.

Our weather sucks.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Janine, that's great!!! I love nature too, as long as I can control it. So, just gardening really.

You know what, I bet your perennials will live. As long as they're mulched really well.

Post pictures!

Bonnie White said...

There's something really satisfying about gardening as opposed to laundry and cleaning toilets. Any little thing you do pays huge dividends. And although the snow makes it challenging, you'll find you're just more creative in finding plants that are resilient and hardy. I look forward to seeing your pictures Mary Contrary.

Kate said...

snow!!!! I thought all the rain we were having sucked...

I hope you enjoyed your castle weekend! I'm jealous!

R. Patton said...

I want to get my little violin out.. bet you didn't think Texas weather was horrendous in the summer, huh? We'll be hanging on the River Walk tomorrow, taking in the fajitas and humidity. :)
Hope you enjoyed your fancy-pants weekend in Banff!