
Okay - I thought this cupcake was delicious. It was moist and kind of springy. Having said that, though, it was a bit sponge cake/ angel food cake like...with an undercurrent of eggy taste...so, it wasn't my favourite kind of cake. But everyone else loved them.
Making this cupcake was fun and different...the batter was essentially whipped egg whites and sugar with the yolks and flour folded in after...easy to make. Except that folding isn't my "best baking technique"...I kept thinking I was done and then I'd find another hidden lump of flour. At the end, I'll freely admit, I did a quick little stir to make sure all the flour was incorporated...but the cakes still came out light and fluffy.
And then, after they are baked, I punched holes in the top and started to layer on a delicious dairy mixture...evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and cream. YUM! The final touch was some sweetened whipped cream on top...WHO CAN RESIST THAT???
[a side note to MSC members...I only used about 1/2 my liquid...the tops were starting to fall apart because they were too wet...but I thought there was enough liquid in the final cupcake. Also, I used some of the liquid for a blackberry caramel sauce I was making at the same time. I'm going to see if I can come up with something else for the rest tomorrow]
Anyway, big hit and I would make these again.
One final note/confession....I am a big batter taster. But this batter was so bright yellow, I almost didn't try it. Almost, I said, not didn't. It was very tasty.
And tomorrow I will read the blogs of some other Martha Stewart Cupcake Club members and see what they thought. But tonight I am super exhausted from hauling a bunch of dirt/compost from our driveway into our garden...I can barely lift my arms to type. And I thought I was in pretty good shape. Guess not!


6 comments:
Good call on not using all of the liquid. My cupcakes absorbed the milk mixture pretty easily so I used the entire amount but maybe they would have been less wet if I'd used just 1/2. Oh well, still fun to make and something to cross off my to-do list :) Glad they were a hit at your house!
I wasn't sure what to do with all that liquid, my goodness, it made a big soggy mess for me, so I must have been doing something wrong, because yours don't look like a big soggy mess at all. Yours look wonderful! Maybe I should try this again, not sure yet.
Definitely good call on not using all the liquid. It was just too much. I also really liked these.
I'm glad you liked them! I agree that you were wise to not use all the liquid. It seemed like too much to me, but I used it all anyway and the result was cupcakes that were way too wet. :( To me good tres leches should be moist, but not soggy.
I think we need a second set of posts on what everyone is doing with the leftover milk mixture.
Your cupcake looks delicious!
Wow, blackberry caramel sauce sounds amazing!
Post a Comment