My Kids

My Kids

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Thanksgiving weekend

You know, it was relaxing and fun.  We ate turkey on Sat night - with the missionaries.  And then we had steaks cooked over the grill down at Fish Creek Park on Monday.  James' brother Matt and his family joined us too.

But I'm ahead of myself.  First, on Friday night, I headed up to Red Deer to help celebrate my friend Cindy's 40th birthday.  It was a surprise dinner in a restaurant.  When I pulled in to park, I saw a group of women standing outside the door.  "Those women look about my age"  I said to myself "I wonder if they are here for the party too".  And then I walked past them, and realized they were all in their EARLY 20's.  (Now, granted, Cindy could have a group of 20 year-olds she hangs with, but it didn't seem likely).

I wonder if I'm just not aware of how old I am and how old I look, or if my eyes just don't work so well anymore now that I'm 40???

Anyway, as I entered the restaurant, I realized that the only person I knew (Cindy) wasn't going to be there yet.  So I told the hostess that I was meeting a group of women for a birthday party but that I didn't know any of them.  In fact, some of them could have been standing right beside me and I would have been clueless.  The hostess led me to the only birthday party table she knew about...and luckily, they were all there for Cindy too.

Cindy was surprised!  And the evening was a blast...not only was it great to catch up with Cindy, but it was fun to meet some of her friends.  I, of course, have a couple of stories about Cindy, since we've been friends since grade one, but I wasn't about to embarrass her and share them....until....

We started talking about singing/karaoke and one of Cindy's friends mentioned how everything that Cindy sings sounds like opera.  So I was happy to back up her claim with my own story of walking with Cindy in junior high and having her sing an operatic version of "C'mon Feel the Noise" by Quiet Riot.  But it was funnier than it sounds, because it was accompanied by my rendition of Cindy's interpretation!!  But really, what's a party without some mocking??

Here's some pics from Fish Creek:





No comments: