So, since August I've been eating no treats...once a month, I get to have a sugar day (and I LOVE that day). And I'm not doing this because I think sugar is bad for you, or because I'm better than everyone else...but because I woke up one day and thought...that's it. I can't stand the way I look and I can't stand the way I feel about my out of control eating. It must stop. So it did. Of course, it did about 2 years and 20 pounds too late.
Anyway, that's not what this post is about.
A little while ago, a friend asked me if I've noticed that the self-control I'm exhibiting with the no-treat rule is spreading over into other aspects of my life.
I had to think about that.
And then I realized, that except for eating, I'm already pretty controlled/disciplined in my life. I work out 5-6 times a week, I make my bed most days, I clean my house regularly, I read my scriptures everyday (except on those odd weeks when I'm not teaching as many classes at chruch/seminary), I try to read to my kids...
(...wow, I sound nearly perfect. I should start eating treats again just to save my humanity...)
So the answer was "no" (to my friend's question way back a couple of paragraphs), because sugar was my major downfall/stumbling block/nemesis...
...but then I realized that I am pretty in control and a pretty good/attentive/nurturing (ha ha...not really) mom...UNTIL 7 pm!! And then it's game over. I don't work out after 7, I don't read to kids after 7, I hardly even talk to them after 7. If you need something after 7pm, you'd better get it yourself or hope that dad is home.
Yup, 7 o'clock is my limit. After that, I like to be in my bed reading or watching TV. That's it.
In fact, then I realized that I spend most of my days counting down the hours until I can turn off my life, get into my PJ's and hop into bed. How sad is that...
...that also explains why I don't like to do a whole lot of things in the evening.
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


5 comments:
I need to do the no sugar thing...I'm generally not a big sugar/dessert eater, but when I got pregnant, I just started eating whatever whenever. If it didn't make me sick, I stuck to it. No good for the waistline.
I'm so impressed! Really. I need to start the one treat a month rule, especially with the holidays coming. Then I just might break even.
Love the 7:00 rule! You're a smart lady.
Wow! No treats? You are amazing. Being skinny is overrated. I lost ten pounds last spring and gained five back by the end of the summer:) oh well....
Okay, so I also hit a wall in the evening, but I really need to learn how to work through it because pretty much those are turning into my prime parenting hours with the older kids especially. I keep wondering if I should nap in the day to make me a better mom into the evening. Somehow I need to learn to stay engaged till 10 or 11pm. Not sure how to do it.
One day I'll get to the no sugar thing...today I shut down at 3 p.m. Two hours too late-that's when the boys wake up from their naps. I find I always shut down in the middle of the day and then I'm fine at night...but if I don't shut down earlier...I'm useless at night too! I think 7 p.m. is a great time to shut down...I can think of 5 other capable people in your house to handle the last few hours!
Post a Comment