Today James, Will and I attending the Remembrance Day Assembly at the junior high. We went to that one (I actually go to one of the assemblies every year...or try to at least), because Coleman was playing "Last Post" on his trumpet. He did a great job.
Here's my true confession...
...I'm a Remembrance Day sucker. I start getting choked up when I hear the school band playing O Canada...and not because of their playing. And then the flag coming in, the laying of the wreath, the trumpet's song...the tears start forming. There is always a video that's played too...it's a slide show of Canadiana...soldiers, poppy fields, historic war moments, war monuments, the flag, more soldiers in modern day desert attire, more flags, military scenes and cemeteries, all accompanied by a sappy, semi-country, quasi-patriotic song. Honestly, at this point I would probably be openly weeping if I didn't distract myself with mental math problems. (How many poppies were on that slide? If each has four petals, how many petals would that be? How many kids are in this row? If each donated a $1.25 per poppy, how much would that be?). OH...and the pictures are our Canadian military might - ie. planes, ships, faulty helicopters - kind of make me giggle in embarrasment.
On a seemingly-unrelated-but-actually-quite-relevant-to-this-post topic, James and I have been discussing a move back to the States for a few months...
....but after a thing like today, I just don't think I could ever leave Canada. I love it here.
However, kissing winter good-bye forever, now that's something worth considering...
HAPPY REMEMBRANCE DAY!
6 comments:
I am a Remembrance Day sucker too. I watch the program from the Nation's Capital. I watch all the bio programs. I wear my poppy. I think Vancouver might be a good alternative for you Janine.
Tennessee is awesome, and hey, I'll celebrate Remembrance Day with you. We'll sing and watch the Canadian slideshow and everything. Then we'll go shopping and hang out. It'll be fun, c'mon. I love poppies.
USA has NOTHING quite like Remembrance Day. I used to tell people it's like Memorial Day, only in November, and without all the picnics. (At least I don't ever remember having a picnic in November when I lived in Canada).
Where in the USA will you move? Oregon has the Optometry program in Forest Grove? Would J teach and practice at the same time?
I'm back on after almost two weeks and enjoying post catch-up. Where in the states? I want the run like the wind shoes when you find them, too! Thanks for sharing and good luck on your talk.
Do you have ties to the war? An ancestor or anything? My grandpa was a German Jew. He was fortunate enough not to be sent to a camp...but I know it still really affected him. War stories always make me cry too...but it's wierd I have a hard time remembering on remembrance day.
So I think we all need more details on this move to the U.S.
Where
How (can James leave work or start somewhere else)?
When?
P.S. Canada isn't that bad...lol. You just have to get over the fact that it could potentially snow any month of the year and it's ok.
Now I have something new to pray for: Please, PLEASE let James and Janine move to California. PLEASE!!
Don't worry, I wore my poppy all day yesterday and even poked myself (and almost poked a random baby I was holding) with that darn stick pin. Oh, and I wore mine with a t-shirt, not a parka. Tempting, right??
Post a Comment