Monday evening: Sam falls off his bike and says his wrist hurts (you can probably already guess where this is heading)
Later Monday evening: Sam goes outside to play with friends, James and I watch TV.
Tuesday morning/afternoon: James goes to work, I go to the temple for the day, Sam stays home to babysit kids.
Later Tuesday afternoon: I come home and Sam is wearing a wrist brace from our neighbour. I take a good look at his wrist and think "hmm....this looks pretty bad.
Tuesday dinner time: Do nothing about Sam's wrist...
Early Tuesday evening: James comes home, we debate whether or not to take Sam into the urgent care
10 min later: Decide to go to the urgent care
10 min later: Home teachers come to visit, so we stay for that, and just talk about Sam's wrist.
An hour later: Finally, we take Sam into the urgent care
40 min later:
It's "just" what they call a greenstick fracture. In our defense, the ER doc did say that it would have healed just fine on it's own, but that it'll be way less painful for Sam if it's in a cast. And he did say that sometimes when they cast a fracture right after it happens, the injury continues to swell, and the cast can become too tight. But since we were there a day later, this wasn't going to be a problem. See, we knew what we were doing after all.
One more downside to this is that we are going to the lake in a week or so...and Sam wanted to learn to waterski this year. So to make it up to him, I'm going to refrain from waterskiing just so he won't feel left out.
[It has nothing to do with the fact that waterskiing scares me. Nothing.]
Three Silver Pheasant Hens Join My Flock
9 hours ago



2 comments:
I like that you aren't a reactionary parent. Me neither (hard to believe but true). R fell down the stairs as she quickly wanted to watch Allie McBean. This was in the canyon meadows days. And fell. Hurt herself. She complained for a week. I kept telling her to suck it up. Five days later, we thought we might want to check out that swelling a littler closer. Tibia break. I still take grief for this lack of attention. And Sam will be surprised how many things he might be able to do - even water ski with a cast. Truly.
tell sam I said hi
Post a Comment