My Kids

My Kids

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentines Day Review

Do you know what V-day means to me?  It means baking.  Pure and simple...a reason to try new recipes.


This year I made red velvet cakes (a big one for us and 2 little ones for our neighbours) and some pear-raspberry heart shaped mini pies (for our weekend away in Fairmont coming up).

And the interesting/amazing to me thing is that I did this (and all baking and cooking) in a kitchen that looks like this:



You can catch a glimpse of our vaulted ceiling, but what these pictures don't really capture is the feeling of plywood subfloor under your feet...a subfloor that just can't be cleaned or even really swept to a satisfactory level of cleanliness.  And see all those shelves and bins?? That's my pantry.  And I consider it an improvement!!  For a while, all of that was in the basement...

Someday we'll have all the permits we need - we did get the major development permit from the city - that's the one that they could have turned down and not allowed us to expand!  In fact, they were leaning towards rejecting our application, but our contractor pulled off a miracle with the planning department!  Anyway, that permit took 4 months instead of the 6 weeks they originally said, and now we are waiting on the building permit to continue our reno...sigh.

Anyway....

....on an unrelated note, it was crazy hair day at Olivia's school....she came up with this on her own:

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love v-day cooking, too!! The dragging on reno has to make you crazy. I can hardly wait for your "after" pictures.