Finally, I got pregnant again, after a year of trying. This pregnancy went the same as the rest. I was a little bit nervous - once you've had a child with Down's Syndrome, your chances of having another increase dramatically. It wasn't the Down's that made me nervous, but the worry of having another stillbirth.
My midwives suggested that I visit a pre-natal genetics specialist - so I did. He was great. We talked about the reasons behind pre-natal testing (preparation and help in deiciding when and where to have the baby, NOT whether or not to terminate the pregnancy), and we discussed any non-invasive testing that was available. I went ahead and had a couple of extra ultrasounds under his supervision, and I was pretty certain that this baby was healthy - which meant that I was relaxed for the rest of the time. And by relaxed, I mean TIRED, TIRED, TIRED.
Olivia was due on Jan 6th. This meant a low-key Christmas for the family, and an uncomfortable one for me!
Now remember - Alex came the day before her due date and the boys came a week early...so I was a little shocked when Jan 6th rolled around and I was still pregnant! Every night since New Years Eve, I would fall asleep thinking - tonight will be the night I'm woken up by labour - and every morning I would be sadly disappointed.
Until the evening of Jan 6th -- this labour started with my water breaking. Of course, Olivia had to do things her way...
I laboured through out the night - back labour most of it. James and I moved Alex downstairs to sleep with her brothers, the midwives came, and even my MIL came to be a part of the show. I had invited her to be there for the birth, but I had warned her it would be like an R rated movie - nudity, bad language and maybe even violence.
So - to fast forward - contractions, contractions, contactions...transistion...pushing, pushing, pushing...nothing. Pushing in different positions. Nothing. Finally after a few hours my midwife said "Let's try walking up and down the stairs."
We were living in a small bungalow at the time, and there were about 5 stairs from the front door to the main floor. So down Maura and I walked...and you know what - it worked! By the time I was at that bottom step, right by the front door and the 4 square foot entry way, Olivia was ready to be born!
"Can you make it upstairs again" everyone asked.
I'm pretty sure this is where a lot of the swearing occured while I "politely" informed them that that would be an impossible task at this point in the delivery.
So there we all were, crowded on the steps and in the entry when Olivia made her way into the world only seconds later...at 6:51am.
Do you know what was so great about that time?
The kids always woke up at 7 to get ready for school - with or without an alarm. So by 7:05, they joined us on the stairs on their way to breakfast. However, instead of food and school - they got to see grandma and their new sister.
Eventually we all made our way back to my bedroom. The kids got to "help" with all the post-baby exams and measurements. They all got their turn to hold her within that first hour. I love having my babies at home - so, so nice. I only got out of my bed to go to my bath - with Olivia. I love that post-birth bathing ritual that I have with my babies. We rest, relax, nurse, unwind...pure joy.
Although, to be honest, after the 3+hours that I pushed with Olivia, my hips were so, so sore. Once she was born and I held her for that first bit - I was very, very happy to hand her over to someone else and spend some time in that bath all by myself. Usually post-birth I am completely consumed by the newborn. Completely. But Olivia's labour had worn me out - it was probably only about 7 or 8 hours total, but I was exhausted and the thought of resting my sore body in a hot bath was - for the first time ever - more appealing than holding the baby. Bad, bad mom...
Grandma went home to sleep at one point, and then came back with dinner. The midwives came and went throughout the day too...
Overall - Olivia's birthday was fantastic. And she was so welcomed and anticipated. That's why she was and always will be so completely spoiled!
Olivia Noelle, Jan 7th (not the 6th like I had originally posted!!), 6:51 am. Olivia because we loved it. Noelle because she was born on Ukranian Christmas.
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


2 comments:
Mom, Olivia's birthday is definitely January 7th :)
@Alex - I was wondering about that! January 7th makes mor sense.
Post a Comment