Since summer vacation is winding down - and it's been so rainy - we haven't been doing a whole lot around here. Just lots of relaxing and enjoying the unscheduled life.
But it's made me realize a few things about myself. What makes you feel like you've had a productive day? And what's more important to you - have a day that you enjoyed or a day that you "got things done"? Are they linked?
For me, I like both days - and sometimes to enjoy a day, it has to be productive. Some days I do set aside as "do nothing" days - and then I can enjoy those without feeling guilty.
What I have most learned about myself lately, is that to feel like a day was productive, I have to have worked out and cleaned up. It doesn't matter if I spent the day working on other projects, if I've spent the day outside with the kids, or if I've spent the day doing my actual get-paid-for work - it all boils down to exercise and a clean house.
But, it's summer still, and that's enough introspection for me (for like a whole year really), and next time I decided to think deep thoughts, I'll evaluate whether or not my "productive priorities" need to be changed.
Three Silver Pheasant Hens Join My Flock
9 hours ago


4 comments:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. No matter what I accomplish, it all comes down to whether or not my kitchen floors are scrubbed! A friend recently likened keeping a clean house with children at home to shoveling snow during a blizzard. She says that, in order to keep her sanity, she tries to do something permanent every day - a craft project, journaling, scrapbooking, etc. I see her wisdom, BUT, it is much easier said than done!
In order for it to be a productive day, I need something that can be checked off the accumulating list of "to do" and feel like I spent some quality time with at least a few of the people I live with. At the same time, I'm with you a little, doesn't matter how much you did if the house is still trashed.
If that's a productive day, then I'm failing miserably! Right now a productive day is getting one room cleaned up and unpacking one box. At this rate, maybe I'll have my new house organized in about two years!
I love the idea of doing something "permanent" every day. I'll add that to my to do list.
I always have a list ready. It doesn't matter what is on the list, if I accomplish all or most of it, it's a productive day.
Today my list says, 1.take a nap, 2. plant herbs, 3. go to the grocery, 4. drumline carpool, 5. don't forget kindergarten open house.
Now that I look at it, it's not really all that "productive". The nap was nice, though.
Post a Comment