[Note of explanation...in our church, we are divided into congregations based on geographic location - these are called wards. The next level of organization above a ward is called a stake - this is a group of 10-12 wards. The spiritual and administrative leader of a ward is the bishop and the spiritual/administrative leader of the stake is the stake president. Both of these jobs - the terminology we use is callings - are voluntary. We have no paid ministry. Everything in our church is done on a volunteer basis. And the callings we hold - whether they be stake president or teaching the 3 year olds - are temporary. We change regularly. We believe that the Lord inspires our bishop to assign jobs to people, so we believe that wherever we serve is where the Lord wants us to be at that time. One final note of terminology - we get "called" to a position and "released" from it when our time is over. For more information, click here
About a month ago, our bishop was called as our new stake president. Since then, our ward has been in limbo awaiting a new bishop to be called. And yes, you'd better believe there has been no end to the speculation over who would become the new bishop. Thank goodness the bishop is called by inspiration and not by popular vote! I can't imagine the ensuing chaos that would surround a transition like this otherwise! Anyway - today is the day. A new bishop was called and James was released as 1st counselor.
Let me just review my previous experiences with being released from callings. The majority of my releases have come because I was moving...so they were expected and welcomed as part of a complete farewell. I have also been released happily from callings that I haven't enjoyed (cubs, nursery, primary...yes, those aren't my favourites). I have also been released from callings in order to get a different calling...one that I usually enjoy more...so those releases have also been welcome changes. And more recently I was released after serving as a Relief Society counselor for 6 1/2 years - this wasn't a release, it was a relief.
So, I've been a little surprised at the sadness I've felt this past week over James' release. Although, when I think about it - and the fact that now he can go to church and come home with us, sit with us, walk the halls with Will instead of me, stay home in the evenings - I should feel glad. And I'm sure I will as it all unfolds and the responsibilities end. Nevertheless, it's been a hard thing to wrap my mind around. I think there are 2 reasons for this: one is that he has only served in this calling for under 2 years, so it feels like it should have been longer, and two, so much of his church work involved interacting with our teenagers, which was a winning situation for all of us.
And I know for a fact that our family has been blessed because of his service and I have seen his spirituality - and by extension the spirit in our family - increase. But what I have come to realize is that these blessings have come as a side effect of this calling, not necessarily because of the specific calling. Has his committed service blessed our family - yes. Was it specific to his calling - no. I've re-learned this week that committed service is committed service and blessings come regardless of the specific calling.
So I think that apart from the normal resistance/reaction to change that occurs no matter what the circumstances - I have feared a loss of spirituality and blessings because of a change in James' calling. Which is just dumb because that spirituality comes from his scripture study, prayer, meditation, willingness to serve, and ability to listen to and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. And those things don't change when the calling does.
Now comes the limbo time for our family. The time while we await James' new calling. I'm hoping it doesn't happen until after Christmas, so we can have a relaxing holiday...
Three Silver Pheasant Hens Join My Flock
9 hours ago


4 comments:
Your party looked like so much fun--of course, nothing could rival the mah jong nights of long ago (ha ha). I also loved your release post. I feel the same way so many times and you expressed it so well. It's hard to let go when you have something good going and find a different way. Good luck to you!!
I love that the church encourages us to serve in a variety of ways. Eugene England wrote an essay Why the Church is as True As The Gospel. He makes some astute observations: 1) how we serve one another and mingle with one another in ways that no other social organization provides - we are classless and each has something to give. 2) that our service in the church allows us to implement the teachings of the Savior - it's the playground of where we become perfected. I cried my eyes out when I was released from being a FT missionary and when I was released in regional public affairs. So much of who I had become was developed in those callings. And the callings that I haven't enjoyed as much are usually because of my own resistance to grow in the area the calling needed to go.
Huh, I don't know if I can relate yet, though I was super sad when I was released as Primary President only because I thought they were just releasing me because I was pregnant and thought maybe I wanted to be released... Our very smart bishop replied, "Renee, you know that's not how this works."
Funny.
I thought I should let you know that I began work as your campaign manager today:
Janine for President!
Post a Comment