and I know, I've been an absentee blogger lately. But we've had a house full of family and between visiting, shopping, eating, working out, eating, shopping, and chatting, I haven't had time to blog
For the past few months, Olivia has been asking me over and over again if Santa is real. I've been responding with the same technique I always use when I don't like a question...ignore and distract. For example:
Olivia: Mom, is Santa real
Me: Do you want some lip gloss?
Conversation over. Works great.
Now, it's important to remember that I've been asked this about 10 times a week for the past 3 months...
On Saturday, while we were in the van halfway to Edmonton, the dreaded question arose again. I hate to lie. But I also remember how great and exciting it was to believe in Santa. And to wait for him all year. It was a real conundrum...and it went like this:
Olivia: Mom, is Santa real?
Me: (trapped without enough distractions to last the entire 3 hour trip) Well, when you hang up your stocking on Christmas Eve, what do you find the next morning?
Olivia: A bunch of presents.
Me: So, what do you think?
Olivia: I think you fill it. So, do you? Or is Santa real?
Me: (looking to an oblivious James for help - but none was forthcoming) Well, it's us. Dad and I fill the stockings.
Olivia: So, Santa ISN'T real!?!?
Me: Blah, blah, blah....this is a long speech about the "idea" of Santa, and the goodwill/love feelings that come at Christmas...anything to fill the "Santa Void" I've created.
James: (oh, he was paying attention) Does it make you sad to know that Santa isn't real?
Olivia: Yes
James: Has someone told you that Santa isn't real?
Olivia: Yes
James: (thinking that other kids at school have prompted this whole conversation): Who?
Olivia: Mom, just a minute ago.
And there is nothing like dashing the hopes and dreams of a 5 year old to make your whole Christmas season bright!
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


2 comments:
Awesome. We should have you out next winter so that we can put an end to all of this madness! :) We'll call you Meanie Aunt Janinie.
Grace (9) finally asked this year and we told her the truth. The funny thing is, she's totally ignored the truth and continues to openly believe. I guess she wasn't ready.
Post a Comment