My Kids

My Kids

Saturday, December 5, 2009

I Heart

Cormac McCarthy

The first time I started to read "All The Pretty Horses" I had a hard time getting into it. Then, a few years later, I started it again and since then I've read his books voraciously.

And last night James and I went to see The Road. What a great adaptation of the book. Yes, they added in "before" flashbacks with the man's wife, but apart from that it was so close to the book. Which, if you've read the book you'll know this, it makes for a haunting movie. But I can't stop thinking about it. Just like when I read the book. And Viggo - what a great job he did as the dad.

So the movie and the book begs the question...is your morality, your sense of right and wrong subject to external circumstances? How do you teach children to be good when the world is completely wicked? And how do you keep "the fire" of truth and right burning inside you when you live in a world filled with suspicion and distrust?

1 comment:

Renee said...

Ooooh, that's hard. I wish I knew the answer. Lately I've been thinking and praying a lot about this, and the whole, "teach them righteous principles, and let them govern themselves" keeps popping into my head.

I do think there are absolute rights and wrongs, but I also believe Heavenly Father and the Savior will be completely fair and gracious in the end, knowing our circumstances and understanding everything perfectly.