My Kids

My Kids

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes


Martha Stewart time again...and these are delicious! First off, it's a really fudge-y chocolate cupcake. This batter was quick and easy to make - with sour cream - which always makes for a moist cake. I've found that cupcake batters usually fall into one of two categories: runny batter that can almost be poured into the pans or thick batter that has to be spooned. This was definitely the latter. I did find that these were a bit dry...but I also overcooked the first batch (like usual - the bottom were a bit burnt)...but since I scooped out most of the inside, it didn't really matter (see below). The second batch was very under-done of course (once bitten, twice shy) - so I couldn't scoop out and fill - I just plopped the filling on top - but boy, these were great to eat!!

I have to give props to Martha on her innovative toppings and extra-touches. This time we whisked together Marshmallow Fluff (love that crap) and butter for a filling. And when I say filling...I mean filling. I cut out little holes in the bottom of the cupcakes - I was supposed to use a melon-baller, but I don't have one - so I used a paring knife to cut out a circle. Then I scraped out a lot of the inside of the cupcake, filled the hole with the cream, and then replace the cut-out. So these are a cupcake with a surprise!!

To finish then, I just added a dollop of the marshmallow filling on top. I though about making a chocolate ganache to put on top too..like the Hostess ones have...but then in my rush to finish before a) the kids started coming home, and b) Will ate or poked holes in all the baked cupcakes, I forgot.

I will make these again (with some more chocolate on top). Some of my kids are downstairs eating them right now. And it's super quiet, so they must like them too.

One final note - these were supposed to be jumbo cupcakes, but I don't have a jumbo cupcake pan. Instead I made regular sized cupcakes with my silicone liners that just pop right off (thank you to KT for the bday gift last year).

11 comments:

Future Grown-Up said...

Yum. And Yum. These look really great. Fluff is amazing stuff isn't it :)

Monica Lifferth said...

Great job! Ditto on the marshmallow crap! I loved the filling. Yum!

Unknown said...

Ok, first - love that photo of Will at the top, so cute!

Your cupcakes look delicious! You were wise to go with regular sized cupcakes - I made the jumbo ones and they were a bit dry and I thought the filling to cake ratio was off. They were still fun to make though and my husband happily gobbled them up :)

Nina said...

YUM Marshmallow fluff. I actually think I have a jar at home, but alas I'm at college like always.

Lisa Smiley said...

yours look luscious!

TeaLady said...

How cute!!

Great looking cuppys. These were good.

Lynne said...

Oh, hello deliciousness! And jumbo?? Sign me up.

Unknown said...

So cute - yours look so chocolatey! And I love the dolloped topping. Thanks for baking along with me this month!

b.liz said...

your cupcake club is so fun! i want to play with chocolate and mystery fluff toooooo...

seriously, i need that recipe.

Isaura said...

Those look yuuumy!
You'll have to send some of those recipes with Alex so I/we can attempt to make some when she stays with us in July. And if they turn out duds, I'll blame it on the change in altitude.

Amy said...

Can I sign up for cupcake of the month club? That means you make the delicous yummies and send them over to me. I promise to give a fair critique--all the way down to my licked off fingertips. Mmmmmmm!!