So I know the rules governing your and you're and its and it's. I'm also pretty handy with a semi-colon (because my high school english teacher - a wacky lady with pink hair - loved them).
But here's what I don't know (well, the short-list at least):
1. Who and whom? When are these used? To who or to whom should I address this question?
2. Bad and badly. Do I feel bad? Do I feel badly? Did I do bad on the grammar test or did I do badly????
Luckily my days of writing anything more pressing than a blog post are long gone.
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


5 comments:
I wish Jaclyn's English teacher was in to grammar. It was her worst section on her SATs.
Okay because I was the Grammar teacher for four years at CBE Continuing Education, I will share the tips though I am not willing to dye my hair pink. Wacky I have in spades!
1. Who is always used as subject (hint: If you can say "He" you can always say "who" - so you would never say "to he". Whom is the object of action (in this case "address" and almost always follows a preposition (either stated or implied). So: "to whom" do I address this question is correct. Again you can use this to guide you "to him" = "to whom". Whom shall I invite? meaning "Who cares?"
2. bad = adjective
badly = adverb
an adverb can modify a verb, adverb, or adjective
an adjective modifies only an adjective
Now one more thing "Feel" is like "is" so requires an adjective after "I feel bad" "John is bad" She sings badly (poorly) You did badly (poorly) on your test.
Now if I could only figure out how to do these logic questions better!
I always feel like you can say "I feel badly" if your hands are frostbitten or asleep, and you can't really feel anything.
Touche David!
My word verification is DISING - how ironic!
what about:
then and than or
effect and affect..those keep me up at night.
my blog is the WORST
(or is it worse?) when it comes to grammar. i bet people who read it want to put a red pen to it and return it to me for corrections.
Post a Comment