My Kids

My Kids

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fishy Advice

So my optometrist just recently told me that I should be taking Omega 3's to help my dry eyes...yes I know they are good for other things too...but until I heard about the dry eye part, I haven't been motivated to take them. Now I am. (Kind of).

Last weekend at our conference in Banff, I got a couple of free bottles of some fish oil supplements from a vendor...so yesterday I started taking them.

My optometrist suggested I take 2 in the morning and 2 later in the day. So I did.

What he neglected to mention was that I should take them WITH food.

All morning I had a nasty taste in the back of my mouth...it was seriously grossing me out. Brushing, mouthwash...none of that helped. And I kept thinking...all I've eaten is oatmeal with strawberries...how can this leave such a bad aftertaste???

Then I realized the culprit - - those omega 3 fish oil pills! YUCK!!

Luckily, when I took my next set while eating I didn't have any problems afterwards.

4 comments:

Bonnie White said...

You'll have to tell your optometrist to take your calcium, Vit D and lutein too. And take also with food. Of your stomach will ache to go along with that nasty after tase.

Barb said...

Nasty. I didn't realize that was the recommended dosage. I wonder if one a day with breakfast is even doing me any good?

b.liz said...

What a wise optomotrist you have! Oh, wait...he's mine too.

Uh oh, I'm so behind on all these fancy vitamins. We get lots of vitamin D in sunny california, but eating fish once per week is probably not getting me enough of those healthy fats. Do I really have to take 4 pills/day to get the benefits of fish oil? (Your optometrist wouldn't mind doing a blog-consult, would he?)

Anonymous said...

OK I just got back from a conference where two experts on dry eye recommended 1500-2000 mg/day of fish oil. Now what I've discovered in looking at different products is that you have to be careful to look at the 'actual' amount of oil in each capsule. Most good formulations have about 500 mg in each capsule, so that means 3-4/day. OK this is getting long now but don't bother with flax because it is not well absorbed in adults - go fish or go home. Also, there are incredible cardio / joint protective benefits from taking this dosage as well! Respectfully submitted by your friendly neighborhood optometrist (no charge for this one).