My Kids

My Kids

Sunday, April 19, 2009

...a 1 and a 2...

I'm a counter. I count in my head all the time. I count stairs (7, 7, and 7 in my house now, I think 4 and then 13 in my house growing up). When I'm alone, I'll count my steps as I walk. During labour I count through my contractions. I count as I take cutlery out of the dishwasher. I count as I fold laundry. Sometimes, when I'm counting a task I'm doing, I get irritated when someone interrupts my mental tally to ask me a question. So weird.

I'm not sure, but I think my brother and sister might count things too. Although they might not admit it.

7 comments:

Maja said...

Ummm.... hello.... OCD a little??!!!

You make me laugh because I can totally see it. And I was just going to do a post on my own brand of crazy!

Renee said...

I'm picturing it now. You walking, 1,2,3... climbing stairs, 1,2,3... dance dance revolution, 1,2,3. So funny! What are you, some kind of mathematician/engineer or something?

I do this weird thing where I lift my foot whenever we pass the little white mile markers on the side of the road. Serves no purpose, I don't know why I do it.

Renee said...

The car we drove to Chicago is a GMC Acadia. It's Scott's work vehicle, and we just got it a month ago or so. It's nice, and with 8 seats, we can finally fit a couple of friends. I still drive a minivan(Montana), and like it better, however. It's got more trunk room. It is really old and has developed a pretty musty smell, you know, like a fine wine.

David said...

Yes, you're totally right. I count down (and then up) waiting for the bus every day. It's a competition to see if I can count down from 138 and back up before the bus comes. (138 is 69 times 2 - my bus is the #69). I also get annoyed when someone interupts my counting.

It must be a sign of geniuses or something. I bet Einstein counted all the time.

Colleen said...

Holy Cow! I thought I was the only one who counted, especially on stairs. But, I think I do it less than you two do. Although, come to think of it, I was making cookies yesterday, and had a count of the different kinds going, and how many I had on the sheets, how many already done, etc, and got upset when people would talk to me when I was counting...

Janine - do you remember the stairs to the library at Southgate. We used to count them every time we went to the library - but we were so young, we always got different numbers every time. But, we were convinced that they changed the number of stairs, because how could we have counted wrong? (BTW, I think there were 23?)

Bonnie White said...

I don't ever count anything but my mother and husband do. Before you know it they will tell you how many windows or chairs or people are in a roomAnd knowing my numeric dyslexia shouldn't surprise you that I don't count. So I wondered if I am not counting while I do laundry or bake cookies what am I thinking about? YOu'll have to read my blog to find out.

dani said...

I count how many times I swipe the deodorant across my armpit, and then do the same amount on the other side, never more, never less. I do this with everything! SO glad to hear that I am not crazy, alone.