My Kids

My Kids

Friday, April 17, 2009

The big exam

Here's the long story:

While in NY, I got a new pair of glasses, but before I get the lenses put in, I wanted to get an updated prescription (luckily I know a guy).

Today James was working at the office just 5 minutes from our house. So I thought I'd head on in for a quick refraction. But first I had to shower. And I do so love a hot, hot shower. Then a quick little bit of blow drying. Then a mad dash around the house to do a few things before I ran to the car to leave.

Before long, I was seated in the exam chair. In a room that is about 200 degrees, I might add (on top of the hot shower and frantic running around). So James is flipping dials and asking "which is better, 1 or 2...3 or 4..." and I can't tell! Not only can I not tell, as we are going along I start having to concentrate harder and harder to see the letters! They seem so small and dark and NOTHING is looking clear.

Now, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of eye exams (BUT you should go regularly) because I always get nervous that I'm going to answer wrong or not know which is better (1 or 2, 3 or 4??). James always reassures me that you can't "fail" an eye exam.

Until today that is. I could tell he was getting pretty frustrated with me...he told me I was having a really hard time with the exam and I wasn't doing to well. WHAT? There I was - failing my eye exam! Good thing I wasn't a paying customer, because he was getting less friendly by the second. And the letter were getting more and more cloudy and hard to see. In desperation, I pulled my (kind of sweaty) face away from the machine...

...and realized that I was so hot I had fogged up the lenses. Once James cleaned them up, I could see perfectly and I got all the answers right. (BTW, the correct answers are 1, 4, 5, 6, and 1 again - now you don't need to be nervous when you go).

So the moral of the story: take the time to cool down before you press your face up against a plastic machine.

5 comments:

Renee said...

That is the funniest story ever.

Maja said...

HAHAHA!! Love this!!!

b.liz said...

So, it IS possible after all. I knew you'd find a way to fail your exam. I'm so proud of you, Janine! Hilarious.

Colleen said...

So funny - now I'm totally afraid to make an appointment!

Kate said...

I'm glad you passed--you are hilarious