After examining our life over the past few years, James and I decided to take the kids out of most of their extra-curricular activities this school year. We just got tired of not having any evenings together at home. I got tired of late nights and driving everywhere. And of us having to eat dinner most nights before James even came home.
This is something I've been thinking of for a while, since it seems that at every General Conference I was being told to simplify my life. So we finally did it.
Now, the kids still do piano, Alex does choir, and, of course, they still have Cubs, Scouts, and Young Women's at the church each week. But it really has made this school year much easier to begin, and we have been able to spend more time together as a family.
It also means that Alex and Coleman have been able to do more school-related activities and sports.
Don't get me wrong - we weren't involved in that many things to begin with - we only cut back on a couple of things. And I have had my moments of doubt where I've wondered what kind of kids I'll be raising without the benefit of organized sports or clubs. And, of course, I'm not in anyway suggesting this is for everyone. But for our family, at this time, with James' schedule and the age spread of our kids, this really seems to be working.
Three Silver Pheasant Hens Join My Flock
9 hours ago


6 comments:
I admire your courage to do this Janine. Eating together as a family and playing together seem to be important characteristics of strong families and confident children. While it seems that your children are still busy, it sounds like it is not only more manageable but also on your own terms. I wish I had done this.
you're a wise momma...i'll be calling you for advise when my family gets to that point.
My boss's wife cancelled all activities for her 8 kids one year EVEN PIANO to recover her sanity, and then they added back the next year only what was truly missed.
How did I miss this post?
We've gotten way over our head with activities this fall and I regret it.
ps. You always have the funniest word verification words. "gunhopy" Why that' funny, I don't know. I need a nap.
Way to go! Our baby is on a mission and just turned 21. The other 5 are all happily married and live all over the US. Time goes too quickly; enjoy every moment. You have a lovely family. I'm excited to be in the MSCC, looking forward to more sweet goods!
You are wise to do this...we had the policy when the boys were little (and I only have TWO children, both the same sex, both almost the same age), that we would explore things they were interested in to find where their true interests and talents would fall. It was a good thing, and we did stumble upon things to fit those goals, but it was exhausting at times trying to plan things to make sure there was a lot of family together time as well. Now we have it down to what are their true interests, etc., but it took awhile to get there. Fun times. Having dinner together is absolutely, hands down, the most important part of our day.
Post a Comment