My Kids

My Kids

Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Van

Yesterday morning (in a weird fit of industriousness) I cleaned out my van. Really though, before you start thinking about how great I am, I should admit that I had to have an empty van to load up food for the food bank that we were picking up. And this week's goal was, conveniently enough, to give our vans a "make-over". And I did have my van detailed a couple of months ago, so the damage wasn't that bad...

...but still - I did spend some time with the shop vac, a rag, and some goo-gone. [Side note - Goo Gone is one of our top 3 cleaning products]. But I couldn't help noticing the places where the vacuum can't reach - like in the tracks that hold the seats or in the spaces where the molding is starting to peel away from the van walls. It was disgusting. It was 7 years of built up grunge. Yuck, yuck and yuck.

So then I think - see, this is why I need a new van. Who cares if this one is paid off. Who cares if it still works. Who cares if over the past 7 years it has only needed a new fuel pump and that's it for fixes?? IT HAS 7 YEARS OF BUILT UP CRUD! IT MUST GO!!!!




But then I remember to be happy to have a vehicle that works. And I think about how great it is not to have a car payment.

But then I think about how frugal and humble I look in my older van. And then I become full of pride in my frugalness and humility.

...so if I'm going to be proud anyway, shouldn't it be in a shiny, new, clean van??


ON A SERIOUS NOTE: We do plan on driving this van until it dies. And if it lasts another 6 years then by the time we need a new family car, Alex and Coleman will be out of the house and we can get something smaller! How weird!

Oh, unless a miracle occurs and I actually get pregnant again - then it's the Suburban all the way! (...or an Escalade if we are rich) (...or a full-size van if James has his way)

5 comments:

Barb said...

That was one quick pride cycle!
We drive our cars till they die, but now with Ken's new job he only gets his car allowance if he is driving a new car, so I don't know what we'll do when his truck ages past the perameters of the car allowance agreement.

David said...

I think you should go for the full-size van and then carpet the interior. Then you can re-live your childhood.

Amy said...

Sorry, haven't commented in a while. Congrats on you calling! It makes such a difference when the kids have a good teacher. We are back into the school routine. Look for our post about it tomorrow-it's a full day in the making. I'm recommending the Ford Econoline for big families HAHA! It's taken us miles and miles and boosts that self-esteem like nothing else can.

Maja said...

I LOVED the line being full of pride for your frugalness and humility. I think I need to put that in vinyl somewhere... haha!

Renee said...

We have an old stinky van and I love it! Seriously, I'll be driving that thing until the engine falls out. I cleaned it out really well a few weeks ago and it's like a new vehicle again! OK, maybe not "new", but it's way less stinky.

Do you let your kids eat in your van?