My Kids

My Kids

Monday, March 15, 2010

Cupcakes Again

This month, for the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club, we made Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. I actually made these a few weeks ago for my book club, and they were delicious. Everyone loved them...family and book club members!

The cake part - a lemony buttermilk cake - was a bit dry, but then I find that with a lot of Martha's cupcakes. I think, in the future, that I might find a nice moist vanilla cake recipe and add some lemon juice and zest to flavour it up.

The best part was the toppings...first a most delicious lemon curd was spread on each cupcake. This is like a super lemony jam. I could eat spoonfuls of this, and my friend Amy has (side note to Amy - I ended up using the MS recipe not yours, since my qualms about using so many eggs were settled by realizing that it was just egg yolks, and I needed the egg whites for the rest of the icing).

After the lemon curd (weird name), the cakes were topped with my old nemisis - 7 minute frosting. After reading everyone's helpful comments last time I blogged about this, I let it beat for a long, long time and it worked. It became thick and stayed in place. A bit too thick...after piping about 10 cupcakes, it became to hardened to do anymore, so I just plopped on blobs of icing for the rest. Still tasty, not so pretty. But this frosting is always so shiny...

Finally, the frosting was lightly browned with a kitchen torch - which I don't have. I briefly considered using James' real blow torch...but opted instead to stick them under the broiler for a few minutes.

So the final conclusion - I will make these again (at least the toppings...).

Thanks Megan, for choosing these!

7 comments:

k.a.r.e.n said...

Glad you liked the cupcakes... i did too!

Renee said...

Oh my, do those look good! Did the lemon curd help to moisten the cake part?

TeaLady said...

Those look delicious. The lemon curd was perfect with thse.

Sorry yours were dry. I have learned to bake her cuppys a little less than suggested.

Nina said...

I did find the cupcake a bit dry too and I kept them in there for only about 20 minutes.

I do think I need to invest in a torch as well. Perfect for making creme brulees and meringues.

Unknown said...

Yep, the lemon curd was definitely the star here. I didn't love the cupcake either, but it was just the delivery device for the lemon curd so I didn't care too much :) Your cupcakes look wonderful!

R. Patton said...

Those look incredible! You have a lucky hubby.

Cindy said...

These look so good. I can't wait to try them!