My Kids

My Kids

Saturday, March 6, 2010

WAKE UP!!

How do you wake up? What kind of alarm do you use?

[Granted, lots of my days for the past 15 1/2 years have started with the "mommy, mommy, mommy" alarm clock - or some variation. This morning it was my personal favourite wake-up call: "mommy. mommy. I'm poopy. mommy. I'm poopy. I'm poopy mommy." Talk about motivation to get out of bed...]

In junior/senior high school I always woke up to the radio. 630 CHED on the am dial to be precise. A little Duran Duran, perhaps some Men at Work, definitely some Corey Hart (CanCon at work), "Open Arms", "Every Breath You Take", "Straight From the Heart". The list goes on...

Now, there is NO WAY that music would be enough to wake me up. I need the high-pitched beeping to knock me from my dreams. And if it doesn't work...the beeps get louder and more insistent and louder and more insistent...GET UP GET UP GET UP. Flashing lights would also be a bonus.

I do remember in university I would put my alarm clock across the room so that I had to get out of bed to turn it off.

HOLD IT! I just remembered my first alarm clock...I shared a room with my sister, and so we shared the clock (although I think it was hers). It was a beautiful Raggedy Ann and Andy clock...and it spoke. The conversation went something like this:

ANN: Andy, Andy please wake up it's time to start our day

ANDY: Shut up Ann and go away, that's all I have to say.

Oh, no...that Andy part was just what went through my head each day...

And then it broke and my dad "Fixed It"....and then it just went "Andy..." followed by a loud and annoying buzz.

...buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3 comments:

Renee said...

A cell phone under my pillow. It's actually "malfunctioned" a couple of times so now I have a back up on the bedside table.

Bonnie White said...

B has the alarm clock set about 30 minutes before he needs to rise. Then he puts it on snooze every 5 minutes. It's on his side of the bed so he takes care of it but by then I am so awake and so not impressed. Some days the dog wakes me "Mommy I need to poop" or "Mommy I need to drink some water". If I need to be some where at a specific time I use my cell phone alarm - it's like a doorbell - the dog always thinks there is someone there at the door so bounds downstairs as fast as he can and then wonders why I am not. Mostly I just wake up on my own - and we know what happens when I do that? I miss that 11 a.m. point

R. Patton said...

Ah, yes, mine is the mobile phone that I leave in my running shoes on the bathroom counter. Gets me up, out of bed, and reminds me what I need to be doing! However, I secretly covet one of those fancy numbers that gently awakens you by gradually illuminating the room.