My Kids

My Kids

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oh the guilt, the guilt!

Today is snowy and cold. And snowy. And cold.

As I was out this morning, going to the gym and again picking up Olivia, the radio announcers were droning on and on about the slippery roads and all the accidents, stalls, and generally slow moving traffic. That's it, I said to myself, we are skipping Olivia's gymnastics this afternoon, and we might even skip school tomorrow (forecast: more snow and even colder temperatures). It seemed like such a good idea at the time. Now, however, the guilt for skipping something is starting to overwhelm me. I wish I could be one of those peope who can skip things with impunity. Wait - I used to be that person in high school! I did skip classes with never a backwards glance (if you feel you must do this kids - make sure your grades don't suffer). So what's different now? I think its 2 things: 1. I didn't pay for high school, and 2. I worry about the long-term effects of teaching my children it's okay to miss things. But, actually, it IS okay to miss things. Sometimes I just need to lighten up. But why do I still feel mildly bad???

2 unrelated items:

-re: Georgina's comment - yes, I should have warned about Kathryn's beautiful outfit. But since I was filming in my PJ's I didn't even notice at the time.

-I got a new calling on Sunday - gospel doctrine teacher. Yay! That's one of my all-time favorite callings.

5 comments:

David said...

I seem to remember that you got paid in High School for actually attending classes.

Way to wreck it for your younger brother.

Mother 25 - 8 said...

Jan, I'm putting together a blog. Check it out when you have time and let me know what you want to do with it.
http://gettinginshapegirls.blogspot.com/

Renee said...

Oh my, that's quite a calling! I bet you're the funnest/funniest GD teacher ever. (GD stands for Gospel Doctrine, by the way)!

b.liz said...

I wish you were my GD teacher!

Lynne said...

The very moment I got into BYU, all desire for attending high school left me. And, as long as I was still getting A's, my mom encouraged my skipping. She'd be the one writing the notes.