My Kids

My Kids

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Christmas Prep

Are you ready for the big day yet?

I've actually been pretty busy this week buying gifts and running other holiday related errands. [So busy in fact, that I haven't blogged or looked at anyone else's either - CRAZY!!]

Here's 2 things to chat about...

1. Every year at this time I start to stress** because we still don't have a family picture to put in our cards. Usually I wait another few weeks, and then, late one night in desperation, I photoshop various headshots of everyone into a cohesive whole and send it off to Costco for next-day printing. Then I rush to get all the cards in the mail before Christmas actually comes. This year, however, since we took family pictures last month, my cards are all ready to go. Really - they are - Olivia is sticking on the stamps right as I'm typing.

2. Every year we also host a big open house party for pretty much everyone we know in the city. Seriously. I think I invite 75-100 people, and usually about 50-60 show up at various times in the evening. Yes, it's a lot of work. Yes, I worry about the house being clean enough. Yes, I want everything to be perfect. But it is so much fun. I love it. Do you entertain at Christmas?

Plus, the other up-side is that I get all my Christmas baking done in time for the party (I started today FYI) and all the left-overs go back into the freezer until needed later in the season. Two birds - One stone.

And just because this is my blog and I can do whatever I want...here's the menu [oh, a side note: yes, I am a bit OCD and last year I started compiling a spreadsheet with my menu so that I don't repeat year after year. And I also have a separate tab for a grocery list, for a Costco list, and, yes - sad but true, I also have a tab for the schedule of all the prep work leading up to the party.]

Anyway: the menu

***WARNING SPOILER ALERT*** If you are reading my blog, and don't want to know the menu...STOP NOW!!


Last chance...


Here it is...

Assorted wraps, mini-artichoke fritattas, chips and dips, cheese/sausage tray, cream cheese ball, bacon-wrapped dates, PB&banana cracker treats, prosciutto wrapped asparagus

Mini lemon cheesecakes, chocolate cupcakes, pumpkin loaf, cherry slice, cranberry-lemon squares, butter tarts, vanilla chocolate chip bundt cake, and assorted cookies (jam filled shortbread, chocolate chip and gingersnap)

At least, if I get them all made and they all turn out right. It's always a crapshoot.

So that's why I haven't blogged very much this week!

**I say "stress" but really - it's not stress - it's just that nagging voice in my head reminding me that I'm totally procrastinating. Usually it just pipes up late at night. Or while I'm driving. Or other completely useless times.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janine I thought I was almost ready for Christmas and then I read your LIST! Still so much to do. I'm trying to convince Bruce that, seeing as we will not be here for Christmas why decorate? He's not buying it!!! Looking forward to your party next week.I promise not to be the last ones there... maybe.

Bonnie White said...

You are doing what I dream about. I bought Christmas party invitation cards years ago and they have been moved several times without being sent. It will happen at some point. In the meantime, I am coming to yours. Menu sounds like I may have to run to your house and back. Keep cooking and preparing. It sounds like it will be fun.

Amy said...

Can I come? If we start driving now...... I'm going to need some of those recipes, like the cranberry lemon tart. Happy Holidays to you!

Renee said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds wonderful! I love your shortbread! Post pictures, lots!

Renee said...

Oh hey, we were in Chicago this week and visited IKEA (we don't have one down here so it's a big deal). Anyway, I totally thought of you and remembered all those lovely lunches we used to have with LA after dropping our very little ones off at the play land.

I miss you Janine!

b.liz said...

Mmmm...my mouth is watering just thinking about all those yummy treats. I can't wait for the leftovers when we finally arrive (yeah, right!).