My Kids

My Kids

Monday, November 30, 2009

Groceries

Do you like to grocery shop? Hate it? No feelings either way?

That isn't the true message of this post - just a random question that popped into my head and out my fingers.

Anyway, I've been trying to lower my grocery bill this year - and I've found 2 tricks to help with this. The first is to shop mostly at Superstore, not the nicer, easier, and more expensive alternatives. The second is to stop running out to the corner store for 1 or 2 items - every few days! This adds up quicker than I thought. Crazy.

And a friend of mine [shout out to JL who reads and doesn't comment - which, btw, is just fine with me. I love readers] told me that she's trying to only go grocery shopping when her fridge is empty. This way she'll stop wasting so much food. Good thought. I'm trying to do this too. It sounds logical, but not something I always have done.

And one final thought about grocery shopping...

...now that we go to Superstore most of the time, James has been re-introduced to the President's Choice brand chips. Which are only $1.50 a bag! Who can resist. And they have such weird but tasty flavours: General Tso's Chicken, BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Feta and something that might be oregano.

And I have to tell you - that rib flavour - very yummy. It really, really tasted like ribs - but it was a chip! My tongue was a bit confused at first, but once the initial shock wore off I had to keep returning to the bag over and over again!

6 comments:

Bonnie White said...

I love the President's Choice Dill chips. And their pretzels and who can go there without peeking at Joe? I am inspired to take better note of shopping and groceries and what I am spending. I have become very wasteful and lazy in that area. I used to make a week's menu - sometimes two weeks depending what season - I would just get the ingredients for those menu items and then the regular staples for breakfasts etc. And we have a mutual friend who looks at the flyers and plans her menu by the specials each week. And one last thing - I love to shop in grocery stores. Sunterra, Superstore, Coop. I even go on holidays to grocery stores. I love those 10 for 10 they often have at Albertsons. While I seldon purchase them, I feel so virtuous thinking I have found some great bargain.

Barb said...

Oh, this is the last frontier for frugality for me. I don't want to save on groceries! I want the luxury of Sobeys! (though it does help that Superstore is now open at 7am - I grocery shopped very early this morning)

Georgina said...

I love grocery shopping. I like to get all our stuff in under 20 minutes, including checking out (this is the beauty of no kids yet). I also love that almost all our food is on the outside perimeter of the store - everything except juice, cereal, and coffee. I read once that if you keep it to the perimeter, your food is healthier and your costs are down. You know, you only shop in the produce, meat section, dairy, bakery, deli. So speedy.

Georgina said...

I love grocery shopping. I like to get all our stuff in under 20 minutes, including checking out (this is the beauty of no kids yet). I also love that almost all our food is on the outside perimeter of the store - everything except juice, cereal, and coffee. I read once that if you keep it to the perimeter, your food is healthier and your costs are down. You know, you only shop in the produce, meat section, dairy, bakery, deli. So speedy.

R. Patton said...

Would you please come to Texas and do my grocery shopping, budgeting, Christmas decorating, and party planning for me? Please.

Renee said...

Hate it, unless Scott goes with me. He's much more clear minded and doesn't get frustrated/irritable with the inevitable crowds.

Costco is my favorite, and Trader Joe's.