My Kids

My Kids

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Friends

I've been wanting to write a post about friendship in a long time, but I've procrastinated because I wanted it to be an articulate and thoughtful reflection on those people who have touched my life. I wanted to be able to clearly express my gratitude for the great friends I have and have had in my life, and I wanted to do so in a heart-warming, poignant, and entertaining way.

But then I realized that waiting for that creative writing ability is like waiting to wake up 20 pounds skinnier. It's just not going to happen. So here's my usual scattered thoughts:

I love having friends. And I have a lot of them. I have friends that I'm related to, friends that I'm related to by marriage, friends that I've known since grade one, grade 3, grade 7, grade 10, and university. Friends that live here, friends that live in Saskatoon, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Montana, Utah....the list goes on. Friends from my neighbourhood, friends from church, friends from my kids' schools....

So many friends!

I have friends that blog - so I feel like I really know them, friends that I sit with in Relief Society, friends to walk with, friends to shop with, friends to hang out with, friends to go for lunch with, friends to talk on the phone with, and some friends that I only see once every 5 years or so.

But they are still all my friends and I really like them all. It's not so much what we do, or how often, but just the fact that they are there. That somehow, no matter how infrequent or how often, we connect.

Do you think you can have too many friends? I don't.

Remember when you were 10, or 12, or 14, and your best friend tells you that she is now best friends with someone else, and so you've been replaced. That sucks. But it is understandable and forgivable when you are so young. But today?? Who cares what other friends or activities my friends might be involved with??? I'm happy for whatever time we have together. I don't need to be anyone's favourite anymore.

Oh...except for James...I do need to be his favourite. And he is definitely my favourite friend (sorry to those who might have thought they were #1).

So, to all my friends...pat yourself on the back for being a good friend, and then go eat some chocolate in my honour!

Now I have to go unload my van full of Costco groceries.

8 comments:

Barb said...

Janine, you embody the phrase "you have to be a friend to have a friend". No wonder you have so many friends. I appreciate your friendship.

Maja said...

As one who counts herself lucky to be your friend, (and I believe the one you were talking about who lives in Saskatoon ;) )

Thanks. You are a pretty great friend too.

Although - not #1??!? What's up with that??!

Amy said...

Counted myself a friend and ate a Kit Kat in your honor. I agree with the other comments, if you weren't such a great one, you wouldn't have so many. I'm so glad to be on your list!!

Amy said...

I am one, right?

b.liz said...

As a sister-in-law, I'm sort of a "forced friend"...but I consider you one of my closest.

Hugs - and cheers on the chocolate!

b.liz said...

P.S. I hear your stake is getting re-organized tomorrow...let's chat tomorrow afternoon and you can fill me in.

Renee said...

I've loved being your friend from day one, and I'm glad we're both blogging to help us keep in touch!

Bonnie White said...

Walking friend - and shopping friend? You are a breath of fresh air and sunshine and purveyor of candid comment. Despite the fact that I hit menopause while you were still creating Will and Olivia, I like having a friend so much younger. You teach me what is cool and when you are older I can help you discover tried and true remedies to keep cooler.