
Somehow I was completely unaware of coconut cake for the first 38 years of my life. I didn't see it, eat it, or even think of it. Then last year I saw a Bobby (oops...I almost typed 2 o's and only 1 middle b!!) Flay Throwdown all about coconut cake and it looked delicious! And I couldn't stop thinking of it.
Then I asked one of James' employees (who loves to bake) if she had ever eaten coconut cake - and she replied that she makes an excellent one. And she does - I know because she baked one for my birthday. How lucky am I???
So - this month's cupcake challenge is the coconut ones from Martha's book. Now, I've already made these, but I was more than happy to make them again because they are that good.
How good?
Good enough to write a poem about. But I can't. So I'll ramble instead.
These cupcakes are moist and meaty (?? what ?? you know - they have some substance) and oh, so sweet. The coconut flavour is there, but not overpowering. I think it just adds the sweetness. I think you would like these even if you don't like coconut - but I could be wrong. (It has happened once or twice before).
I followed Martha's suggestion and used the 7 Minute Frosting...last time, this did not turn out AT ALL for me. This time I decided to test my candy thermometer first, thinking that might be the problem, and, guess what?? It never gets hotter than about 180 degrees! Well, that's a problem!
But I still tried the frosting anyway - and used to "cold water testing" method, which everyone knows doesn't really work unless you have a lot of experience at it. Or at least it never works for me.
But the frosting turned out good enough to use - and very, very yummy. And so shiny too! It was just not as stiff as I would have liked, although it did stay on the cupcake.
So, to you fellow MS bloggers, do you think the slightly runny icing is because:
a) didn't cook the syrup long enough
b) didn't whip the egg whites long enough BEFORE adding the syrup or
c) that's the way it turns out.
SO, to SUM UP: Love these. Thank you Jennifer for the suggestion.


17 comments:
Hmm, I wish I could chime in on your frosting conundrum, but alas, I don't have the answer for you. Glad to hear you weren't a fan of the dark chocolate frosting too! I thought it was just me!!
I have coconut in my pantry and this is oh so tempting to me this afternoon. But: I pretty much gave up baking this summer. I took one of my kids shopping and found that she could scarcely squeeze herself into 'regular' fit jeans. It was a shock to me and I had to choose change the food around here or start buying husky jeans for one of my children. I hadn't noticed she was tubby - surely my cooking wasn't to blame! After all my other children were/are normal to skinny. Anyhow, 6 months later you would never guess which kid I was concerned about (health concerned more than shopping concerned). I do still miss warm cookies out of the oven after school (we all do). And coconut cupcakes.
If I were to make coconut cupcakes today then the question would be make a new recipe (yours) or my fall-back recipe:
http://amyscott.squarespace.com/journal/2008/3/12/barefoot-contessa-coconut-cupcakes.html
YES, agreed! Shredded coconut is nooo good! I really can't stand the grittiness. I wished afterward that I didn't put any on. hehe. lesson learned! otherwise, i LOVED these cupcakes too!
They look really good, maybe the icing is supposed to be that way.
I have a GREAT coconut cupcake recipe from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) you might like. It's got almond extract in the icing and the batter and I absolutely LOVE them. Lots of butter, lots of fat.
I'll post it soon maybe.
Can't help you with your frosting question. I didn't get that far. My cupcakes were a disaster so I used canned frosting for my 'photo shoot'.
I would love a good coconut cake recipe, I'm sure my failure was due to altitude, not me!
I simply think that 7 minute frosting actually takes 14 minutes until it is stiff and cool. The books are lying to us.
Your cupcakes look delicious anyways!
the little mound of frosting looks just right to me.
1. these look amazing
2. i love that you watch throw-down with bobby flay.
clearly you have good taste in food and good taste in tv.
Your cupcake is so cute! I loved this recipe.
Glad you liked them, i loved them too. Cupcakes live!!!!
We really loved these, as a matter of fact, I am making another half batch today as the guys said they wanted more and it was a holiday weekend, after all...LOL. Yours look beautiful!
The frosting also took more than 7 minutes for me. Your cupcakes look beautiful though. It's nice and shiny! I loved that episode of Throwdown as well!
Your cupcakes are beautiful, no matter what happened with the frosting. I wish I knew what happened (I've only made the frosting once and mine almost went too stiff), but you'll have better luck next time.
regardless of the runny icing, it seems to work for these, the look i mean. they look so lovely and simple. wish i could help with the icing issues but i opted for a different basic frosting. ;)
I'm so with you - these were so, so, so good!! I loved the cupcakes. I thought they were good with the frosting, but even better plain.
If I had to guess, I'd say your sugar syrup didn't cook long enough, but I'm not an expert so who knows :)
I couldn't get my syrup to reach a temp above 220 degrees, and it only had to get to 230...weird. I think lots of folks had difficulty with this frosting recipe.
Maybe Martha should teach us all about what we need to do to improve! :)
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe as much as I did!
Post a Comment