When do you take down all of your Christmas decorations? My ideal day would be Jan. 1st, but I'd pick Dec. 26th as a close second. It's over, we're done for the year...let's just pack it all away while everyone is sitting around the house doing nothing.
However, I am outvoted 5 to 1 in my family (Will doesn't vote). So the stuff stays up well into January.
Around the 10th I always say: "for fun this weekend, we are going to take down the Christmas decorations"
And still - no go. "It's too early" is all I hear.
Then around the 15th I cave EVERY YEAR and do it all myself. Which I hate doing.
So this year, I stayed strong and refused to do the job solo. I waited, and waited, and waited. The tree (a fake one) looked worse and worse as Will played more and more with the decorations. We looked weirder and weirder as our lights shone bright week after week. (I thought: if it's all there, we might as well turn it on).
And last night - a post-Christmas dream come true. For Family Home Evening we de-Christmased our house. (And I don't know why my spell-checker thinks that isn't a word).
And do you know what - with all of us working it only took about 20 minutes. So easy when it's not done alone.
But I will admit, that although our house now looks seasonally appropriate, it seems a little bit empty.
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


2 comments:
My girls will be slightly disapointed to drive up on Thursday and have Christmas gone. Have you neighbours stopped plugging in their outdoor lights yet?
I finally de-Christmased (love that word) around Jan 15th and it felt waaaaay too late. I'm impressed you held out on principle. My grandma walker would keep her white Christmas tree up from Halloween to Valentine's day every year. She just has a lot more Christmas spirit than the rest of us.
Post a Comment