And you know, wandering around the campus, exploring the engineering buildings, and meandering down HUB mall, made me nostalgic for those younger student days. As it happens with most things, time has softened the memories...I forget the stress, the hard work, the worries over my future, and I remember only the fun, the friends, the new experiences, and the immense opportunities to learn (most of which I never actually took advantage of...). There is an energy about a university campus that exists no where else. And those years of being a part of that community can be so great. Never did I imagine then that I'd be back towing a handful of my own kids along those same hallways.
At one point we found ourselves walking down the chemistry hallway - the one just off of CAB - and it smelled just the same as it did 20 years ago!! That smell reminded me so strongly of walking down that hallway between classes, usually in the dark of winter (to avoid the outside as much as possible) - trying to not be late, thinking of all the homework and studying I had to do that night, and wishing I could get a date. I turned to James and said: "Do you smell that - it's the smell of stress!!"
Ahh...the golden days of university...
Today's highlights included:
1. My picture in the MecE building
2. My name on the Engineering Generations wall - next to my uncle, my sister, and my brother
3. The Timms Centre for Performing Arts
4. HUB mall and the Rutherford atrium/breezeway
Here's a couple of pics:
James and kids at Convocation Hall
Me at the Engineering Wall of Fame


6 comments:
Propaganda perhaps but am impressed with your example and desire to help your children see the possibilities in their lives being accessible.
Seriously great! My mom and dad took us to BYU yearly on the very same tour! Your kids are very blessed to have such a great mom and dad - and an impressive legacy to live up to!
Oops - that last comment was from me, not Sara!
Love that you do this, but love even more the Engineering Generations wall - that is awesome!! So I wonder if my kids will get the same propaganda when we go to see their dad every couple weeks and will continue to do so for the next 6 years...
impressed that you made "the wall"!
i can't quite say that for my college years.
"energy about a university campus that exists no where else", so agree with you on that. it always makes me want to go back to get my masters. i've been wanting to do it for years and for some reason, even more lately that urge to go back is biting at me.
i just need to do it. i saw your cute kids in the pics and makes me miss hanging out with them. they were lots of fun :)
Now that is some good solid parenting there Janine!! I am a bit torn between wanting my kids to go to UofA where I got my first degree or U of Utah where I had my best college experience. Perhaps a little of both :)
Post a Comment