My Kids

My Kids

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Baby needs a new pair of shoes...

Or really, it was Olivia that needed new shoes - running shoes to be exact. When the big kids were little I never bought them "character" running shoes. Firstly, I wasn't willing or able to spend the extra $5 or so just to have someone's face/name/brand on their shoes, and secondly, there was no way my kids were allowed to wear something so "tacky". Fast forward 10 years...

Tonight Olivia and I hit Wal-Mart - yes that ode to - consumerism (I apologize to those who are Wally regulars that I've offended, and I apoloigize to those who it and can't believe I just supported such an evil empire). Anyway...we headed right to the shoe aisle where I proceeded to line up every single pair of running shoes in Olivia's size: Barbie, Dora, Disney Faeries, "teenager" Barbie, Princess Barbie, Tinkerbell, Little Pony, Bratz, High School Musical...the list goes on. It truly was a vision of pink loveliness. Every shoe a 4-year-old could dream of was on display. Luckily Olivia is a who knows what she wants. It only took a minute for her to decide on the white and pink Little Pony shoes with hearts that light up as she walks. She is sure to be the most fashionable player on the soccer field this season (that is if the snow EVER stops).

2 comments:

Kate said...

I fight the character battle everytime we go to get new sandals or shoes... I probably will give up by the fourth kid too! Esther gets so fired up she owns one pair of dora sandals...

Renee said...

Having a teenager, you know that it's only a matter of time before they're begging for shoes more expensive than yours. So, light up Tinkerbell $10 special it is!

Walmart is evil, but I get sucked in too. I try to limit my visits to twice a year, but end up spending a ton of money.... the same amount I would've spent going once a month. It really doesn't make any sense but I feel better anyway.