My Kids

My Kids

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Soccer

So, today was Olivia's second soccer "game" - I use the quotes because they spend the first 35 minutes just with their own team kicking, passing, playing games, then they have snack and the last 15 minutes are for the actual game with the other team. I think it's a game at least, because right after snack Olivia decided she'd had enough and just started walking home. There was no going back for her.

We're quitting. I think with the older kids I would have made them stick it out. Olivia - no. It's just not worth the fight. If you don't want to play, I'm not going to make you. Of course, this is probably teaching her it's okay not to try to succeed, its okay to quit, and if you don't like it don't do it. I'm sure this is going to come back and haunt me when she is a 29-year-old, unemployed, university drop-out who's still living at home. But for now, I'm fine with taking her out. It's just easier than fighting with her every Saturday.

Obviously I'm having doubts and looking for some justification through blogging.

And if you older kids are reading this and getting whiny about how easy Olivia has it - let me ask you one simple question: who is still in swimming lessons??? The answer: not a one of you.

I just want my kids to feel like they have something they are good at - some skill they can do. I have a feeling Olivia's will be putting on makeup and dressing up. Scary.

3 comments:

Mother 25 - 8 said...

It's cuz she's a girl. My boys get away with absolutely NOTHING. My girls on the other hand? Well, they're just so dang cute to me ... yeah, they get away with just about everything. It's cuz my girls are my girls. And they look so cute in dresses and pig tails!

Renee said...

It's not worth the fight, I agree. I make my kids finish out their season only because I've paid and can't get a refund!!!

Happy Mother's Day, Janine!!! You're still the funniest girl I know. Just don't tell my sister.

b.liz said...

I think you are terrible for letting her quit! Haha! She doesn't seem like the soccer type anyway. Maybe you can sign her up for a modeling class or something. What about ballet?

I guess that would be one of the hardest parts about parenting is helping your children find skills/activities in which they have success and that they actually enjoy doing. I'd love some parenting advice on that one.