I love hot, sunny days. Olivia has been living in her bathing suit. Okay, she does that a lot anyway, even in winter...but now she can go outside and get wet in it. All we've been doing is playing outside on bikes, with the sprinkler and hose...so much fun. I remember being a kid and spending all day outside in my bathing suit and barefeet. Colleen and I would play with the little girls on our street all day. Lots of times we made up shows - our house was perfect for this because we had a front planter that doubled as a stage. In my mind, I was always the star!
Colleen- do you remember doing our Miss America contests with Cindy in the basement? We would dress up in our dress-up clothes (2 of us at least, someone always had to be the judge). We would use the coffee table in our family room (which was called a rumpus room - it was the 70's) - as a runway (good thing the table was pretty sturdy!). We always had a talent portion and I vaguely remember a ukelele (maybe??) and Cindy singing: "My dog has fleas on his knees and he's growing pa-pa-pa-payaya trees..." Ah, childhood...
Back to 2008: I actually planted flowers the other day - did I already mention this? I am not a gardener. I planted a whole bunch in our two ginormous planter boxes (made by my dad last year), took a step back and realized that the dirt must have settled or something over the winter, because now you can't see the flowers over the top of the boxes. Its pathetic. So, I have three options:
1. Pull out the flowers, add more dirt, and replant (best choice - never going to happen)
2. Install an angled mirror at the back of the boxes to show everyone what's inside (better than choice 1 but still too much work)
3. Call them my "secret garden" planter boxes and wait for the flowers to get tall enough to be seen from the street. (That's the one)
I think I'll take some pictures to show exactly what I mean.
Also, we bought bikes for the kids last night, now someone needs to teach them to ride. Anyone???
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


3 comments:
I don't have a green thumb either--I have these three flower pots that I planted a few flowers in--only the flowers are way too small for the pots--but of course, like you, I'm not going to buy more and plant more or move any around. What's done is done. I bet your flowers look lovely inside the box!
I vote for more soil. It won't take that long to replant, and then you'll feel much better! You know.
I planted lily bulbs last winter, but only a fraction survived. It wasn't the bulbs as much as it was Spencer and his friends walking all over them.
Funny, as soon as I started reading this post, I had "my dog has fleas on his knees" running through my head. And, the other day, I was thinking about those dinners that we made, and trying to imagine letting my kids organize a huge dinner like that, and go to a store by themselves, and cook it!
On the planting side, we did our garden - it seemed easy this year, which either means nothing will grow because I forgot to do something, or it's a lot easier to garden when you're not pregnant...
You forgot choice 4: tell the boys that they can earn a cub/scout badge, if they replant the flowers for you. (Or a personal progress goal would work too...)
Post a Comment