My Kids

My Kids

Monday, June 23, 2008

I am the Champion

You know how they say that with your kids you should choose your battles? Well, I say to Olivia: Game On! Metaphorically speaking because, of course, I would never pit myself against one of my children (oh - and she can't read this post).

Olivia has always been a problem child, I mean a problem eater. Lately she's getting even worse. If left to her own devices, she would live off of chocolate milk, granola bars, and candy. If only those things were good for her, then my life would be a lot easier.

Anyway, today is day one of my new crackdown on her eating habits. This afternoon she asked for something she couldn't have. I told her no, that if she was hungry she could have a fruit or vegetable. I then proceeded to outline exactly which fruits and vegetables were available for her consumption - just to be sure that there could be no misunderstandings. Then the negotiations began, at least from her point of view. "I'll eat an apple WITH my pop" "I'll drink this pop and THEN I'll eat a banana" "I'm never going to eat fruit" "If you don't let me have that pop then I'll throw out your shoes"...it went on for a bit, but I held firm. Finally she switched gears (and when I say finally, I mean like 30 min. later) and started asking for chocolate milk. When faced with the unmovable wall of "no"s, she entered her final bid for just a glass of plain milk. I finally conceded this point - but of course she didn't actually drink it.

Fast forward another hour or so - still no eating on Olivia's part and she tries again with the "I'm hungry" plea. Back we started again with the list of approved items...this time negotiations broke down quickly and ended with not one, but two separate trips to bed.

Finally, after about a half hour of tantrum -- she came out and ate a banana. VICTORY IS MINE! Of course, I did have to hand feed the last half to her...

1 comment:

Renee said...

We don't fight the food wars so much in our house, but right now the hair wars are in full swing... Scott and I vs. the BOYS. They were both mopheads. I say were, because at last week at Boy Scout camp, Oliver's ym pres paid him 70 dollars to shave his head and he did it! I love the Gospel.