
Yesterday, to continue with our summer fun, we did our mostly-annual trek to the Stampede. Now for some people, this is an all day event. For us, not so much. Usually we go to the chuckwagon races and grandstand show - but this was a last minute decision, so the shows were sold out. (And yes, I know you can get rush tickets, but we are grandstand show snobs who like to sit in nice seats under the protective canopy). If you have never been to the grandstand show - don't worry, next time we are together I can show you exactly what its like. I do a great impersonation of a "Young Canadian". Even if you have been - its still pretty funny to watch, and anyone is welcome to join in.
Back to Stampede - our new favorite thing to see are the stock dog trials. This is where you watch border collies try to herd sheep through an obstacle course and into a holding pen. It doesn't sound like much, but it is surprisingly interesting. These dogs are really smart, and the sheep are so dumb and obstinate. Every now and then a dog will get so frustrated he'll bite the sheep - and then be disqualified. Yesterday's sheep were especially uncooperative.
We also watched some singers, some breakdancers, and our other fave--the bmx daredevils at the Bell Rodeo X. Love it. Finally, after drrugging up with 3 separate medicines (I call this having a drrug-up), I was ready to enter the animal barns. About halfway through, I realized that in the midst of my drrugging frenzy I forgot the allergy eye-drops. Luckily the itching only lasted a few hours past the barns...
One final note, and this will be hard to believe, I left the stampede without having a single treat!! Wait, don't get ahead of yourself admiring all my self-control. The truth of the matter is that when James went to get his mini-donuts he was supposed to buy me some deep-fried cheesecake (yes, you heard that right), but he spent all his money on the donuts instead. But its okay, I made up for it later when James and I went out for dinner.


3 comments:
I would love to see your imitation of a "Young Canadian." I can't believe I haven't seen it yet! Janine, you are seriously holding out on me. Maybe you should post a video of yourself on your blog... I'm only partially kidding.
The "Young Canadian" impression should be your next post. Seriously, even if I don't get it because, you know, not being Canadian and all, I still KNOW it'll be good.
This was an especially funny entry. I miss you Janine!
I don't know if the Young Canadians impression would be quite as good as the first time I saw it. The fact that you were 8 months pregnant made it even funnier!
Post a Comment