My Kids

My Kids

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A shopping experience

Yesterday I stopped by the fabric store to buy some dye. What was I dying? Nothing - but Alex's beehive class were coming over last night to tye-dye for their weekly activity. Thus the trip to the fabric store. Now, I don't sew. I have made a few baby quilts in my life - and really, I enjoy doing that. There is something about taking all these small pieces of material and putting them together into one united whole that is oddly satisfying. It's like finishing a puzzle or a long and complicated math problem - a systematic, step-by-step process with a definite end. Nice. Fulfilling.

But, quilting is just sewing in straight lines. I can handle that.

Anyway, back to the store. I love it in there. I love seeing all the coordinating fabrics lined up. And don't get me started on the holiday fabrics. Rows of orange and black. Pumpkins, witches, candy corn. All there. Around the corner on another aisle - Christmas prints! It takes my breath away and I have to stop myself from wanting to buy it all. What? Buy it? For what? To fill a box in my basement???

A few years ago I was collecting donations of fabric from anyone in our ward who had some extra lying around. One sister (Andy Ursenbach's mom), called me over and handed me a huge bag filled with material. She admitted that she never sews, never has sewn, but loves to shop for and buy fabric. I didn't get it then, but now I do.

ABSENTEE BLOGGER - we've been away in Utah and So-Cal for about 10 days. I didn't want to blog about the trip and announce to the blogging world that my house was sitting empty (in case someone could magically discern where I lived - as if anyone reading this doesn't already know that). Plus, I did try to blog one night, but the keyboard on James' laptop drives me crazy. When I get around to it, I will post some pics and blog about the trip. For a preview you can visit THE DAHL HOUSE blog of James' cousin. She kindly let us stay while in LA. Thanks for the hospitality and for the great post about us Collette

2 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

I missed you. I'm glad you're back.

b.liz said...

I can't wait to hear 'Janine's Crazy World' version of your trip. SHARE already!