Our 2008 family birthday season drew to a close yesterday with our firstborn - Alex. She turned 14. What is strange and shocking to me isn't that I have a daughter who is a teenaged-young-woman who is in grade nine, but that it doesn't even seem weird anymore that she is out of primary and elementary school. 14 years ago James and I had just moved to Houston where he was going to school and we were living in our "big" 2 bedroom apartment. All we owned was hand-me-down baby clothes and acessories, a second-hand couch, and a brand new futon for our bed. But we thought we were totally ready to venture into parenthood - and boy, were we wrong! Just kidding. The amazing thing about being a parent is that you learn as you go - sorry Alex, you were our first experiment! I can hardly remember now what it was like to have just that one little baby - but I do remember that she was my whole world. We adored her. We could hardly even watch TV because we couldn't take our eyes off of Alex. James had made a little "nest" for her out of blankets in the living room right by the TV (okay - the room was small enough that really, everything was right by the TV) and we would just stare and stare at her while she was sleeping.
Now, 14 years later, we still love her - but we don't stare quite so much. Maybe we should because she is a beautiful, musical, smart and social girl. But I think that might be creepy if we just stared at her while she slept. I'd write more, but I have to prepare for the giant Christmas party I'm hosting tonight.
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


3 comments:
Happy Birthday Alex! We hope you have a fun day and hopefully your mom won't stare at you too much.
Janine,please post pictures of your big party! I'm not hosting anything this year so I'm living through my friends.
Tell Alex happy b-day from us--I can't beleive she is 14!! She'll be dating in two years!! aaagh. Good luck with that.
Hey, I think it's awsome that you keep a file with your list of books! So smart. Do you rate them too?
Post a Comment