To be giving. That brings me to today's topic...gift cards. Love em or hate em? I do both - I both love the convenience of them and I hate the convenience of them. I will freely admit that it might seem that I am a gift card hypocrite (meaning that I will bemoan their use while still buying plenty of them) - but my inconsistencies make perfect sense when you know the elaborate gift-card rules that I live by. Here are some samples:
1. Kids on the receiving end - my older kids love to get gift cards because they understand that the card means they can go to that store and buy whatever they want. This is exciting when the store is Future Shop, Toys R Us, or EB games -- Ties R Us on the other hand, probably not a hit.
2. Giving to kids - I do this a lot for the friends of my older kids for the same reason outlined above. Also, lots of you out there understand the special pain of shopping with younger kids for a toy for someone else. So, instead, I love to buy a gift card at the grocery store, or even the 7-11, if I need a big gulp too. Love that convenience.
3. Getting from my parents - I love this because its like getting money that I HAVE TO spend on myself at a certain store. And even in my "late twenties" I guess I haven't got over the underlying thought that maybe my parents SHOULD be giving me money, so a gift card is totally normal.
4. Giving/getting from spouse, or giving to my kids: I might as well just tell them to go shopping and have a good birthday/Christmas. Really? Where's the thought? Especially with my kids...since I'll have to take them shopping anyway and I'll always ending spending more than the card...I might as well just skip the middle step. HOWEVER, and here's the caveat, as my kids get even older, I can see where the gift card might be a good thing...they can then get what they want if they are picky.
SO to sum up - sometimes the lack of thought involved in a gift card drives me crazy (when getting), and sometimes I love it (when giving). BUT I WILL ALWAYS ACCEPT THEM AND BE HAPPY THAT I HAVE THEM - SO DON'T HESITATE TO SEND ONE TO ME!
Three Silver Pheasant Hens Join My Flock
9 hours ago


1 comment:
he he. I too feel love/hate. Love the fact you don't have to wrap them! Hate it when my kids get them, and I end up having to buy them off, because they wanted cash. I've got like 5 $10 Walmart cards now.
Oh, I've been drinking Pero as my Postum substitute. I don't like it as well, but it's pretty good.
Post a Comment