My Kids

My Kids

Friday, December 12, 2008

Emulation

I'm listening to this book by A.J.Jacobs called "The Year of Living Biblically". It's quite interesting - he is a secular-agnostic-Jew-by-heritage who decides to live all the laws, rules, and commandments in the Bible for a year. He hopes that he can come closer to God by doing this.

So I've decided to do the same with the talks from the apostles at the last general conference (side note: I'm not sure if this is my idea or if I heard someone else suggest this). Now, every couple of days I re-read a talk and take notes about what specific things I should be doing - and then I try to remember to do them.

So far this is what I've leaned:

1. We need to plead for unity in our homes - this is good until James comes home late and I'm bitter and resentful

2. Don't talk bad about others - about 2 hours after reading this, as I was trying to describe someone we used to know to a friend I said "Remember, that girl that we didn't like". I guess, technically, I didn't say anything bad about that person, I just stated the descriptive fact that we didn't like her.

3. We need to find joy in the present - my mantra as I follow after Will picking up his endless messes.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I'm with you! I feel so inspired every Sunday and by midweek (mon)I've fallen off the horse. Right now it's praying for patience because of the 8th grade mid terms. I'm trying and praying so hard!