My Kids

My Kids

Monday, June 7, 2010

Another Milestone

Last week I cleaned out my crawl space and gave away all my baby/toddler clothes. I have about 3 boxes left of things for Olivia and Will to grow into.

Mixed feelings all around.

On the bright side...I seriously got rid of about 15 boxes. This opened my crawl space right up!! It's empty! And so, so organized. Plus, those clothes have been at the back of my mind...just knowing they were sitting down there unused and getting older and more out-of-date each day caused some underlying stress. Now they've been freed and sent to good homes to be used again. And loved. They are happy and fulfilled once more. Or else they are just inanimate objects without any human emotions. Your call.

Another upside...when I was first pregnant, a guy I worked with gave me several boxes of baby clothes, which, since we were super poor students, helped out a ton, so I am happy to be able to return the favour to other young parents that I know.

The downside though, and it's a big one, is admitting that maybe there will be no more babies in this family. I know - as I'm sitting here on the cusp of 40 and after almost 3 years of unsuccessfully trying to get pregnant this shouldn't be a great mental leap to take. But it is. And yes - I am super grateful for the kids I have and I know that there are lots of people who can't have kids and would love to take even half of mine (although who would get cut into two???) - but still I long for another little baby. It's hard to admit that that part of my life is over. I won't have that newborn to hold again. That small little body that just snuggles right up. The excitement of that positive pregnancy test. The joy of the new family member. The novelty of a new little person.

So I am grateful for what I have, but it's still hard to not want more. The thing is, I'm just not ready to be done.

And, in the spirit of total honesty, I hate not getting my way.


[And there is always that slim hope that maybe by giving these things away, now I'll finally get pregnant....]

5 comments:

Jean Saunders said...

Janine - I wonder if anyone is ever really ready to be 'done'. Holding my tiny newborn grandbabies and I am thinking 'I could do this again'. But you are right to pass your baby things on now while they are still usefull and not out of date. Because if there is another baby in your family there will be all the baby clothes you need. It seems to work that way.

Amy said...

Amen, amen, amen!

Bonnie White said...

Janine how tender and poignant you articulated thoughts that each woman of a certain age must acknowledge. Thanks for sharing such a personal insight. Love you. And I would personally hold a big shower and fill up a closet if a Baby Thompson decides to make a surprise entrance.

R. Patton said...

I hear you! I am giving away the crib and changing table this week. It is hard to turn the page in this chapter.
Thinking of kids - we hope to see A and C soon!

Stacey said...

I totally know God is not going to send us any more babies, but I cannot get rid of my baby stuff! you are a giant leap ahead of me. good job.