My Kids

My Kids

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Why I'm not a doctor


Years ago - I can't even think how many - I was in high school and trying to decide what to take in University. I kept thinking about medicine. I was intrigued by our bodies, anatomy, the systems that all worked together. Sure, I didn't really like hospitals or sick people...but I figured I would learn how to deal.

As it turns out - I chose not to go into medicine - mostly because when I really thought about what I wanted in my future, it was to be a mom. And I just didn't want to ever have to make the decision of finishing med school/residency or staying home with kids. And I knew I wouldn't want to juggle both...

So I went a different way, and still studied about the human body, and still did what interested me.

Now, flash forward a bunch of years...

I've been spending more time thinking about what to do when I grow up....or when Will grows up is more like it. And my mind keeps returning to medicine. I've even gone so far as to look up the admission requirements and think about which classes to take and when to take the MCAT exam. Seriously...for a year or so I have contemplated going to med school. And then...

...a couple of months ago I was in Superstore buying a skin-tag remover kit. There I was in one of the pharmacy aisles reading this in the instructions:

skin tag must be 3 mm in diameter or smaller and stick out from the skin by a stem-like stalk

And that completely grossed me out. Totally. Grody - as I might have said in high school. And I started to get kind of light headed and my knees got weak and I thought I might throw up. All because I was thinking about skin tags on stalks!!!

And then I realized that I could never, ever, ever be a doctor. I don't have the stomach. I can't even slap a band-aid on my kids' skinned knees without looking away. And open cuts...UGH!

Side note...as I was writing this, I was remembering those high school years...and realized that my old BIO 30 dissection lab partner would have laughed and laughed at the thought of me going to med school. I couldn't do any of the dissecting. None at all. And, do you know why I remember my high school lab partner? Because he was hot. And popular. I mean...really smart and a good dissector.

1 comment:

Bonnie White said...

I loved this Janine. Great post. You could just about be anything when Will grows up. You have probably the largest diverse interest set of anyone I know. I could see you teaching high school science and math, see you owning your own cupcake business. And Will is growing up fast from what I saw recently.