My Kids

My Kids

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Martha Cupcakes - for Valentines Day!

This month's pick were the Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.  Now, these were one of the first cupcakes I made, and I found them to be dry.  So I didn't want to make them again...


...instead, I re-made Martha's Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes.  These are a dense yet moist basic yellow cupcake.  But, in keeping with the spirit of the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club, I added chocolate chips to the batter!  And in keeping with the spirit of Valentines Day (especially in the eyes of a 7 year old girl), I added some pink food colouring to some of the batter (I didn't think of it until the first batch were baking). These were yummy and a big hit. 

Some of them I iced with Martha's Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  This is the second time I've made this icing, and you know what, I really don't like it!  Now I know that I don't have to try it ever again.  But, having said that, I think that I may try it one more time, but with less butter.  I find it tastes too much like butter and not sweet enough.  (Not that I usually have a problem with things tasting like butter...)

The rest of the cupcakes were dipped in a dark chocolate ganache, and then they all were decorated with candy hearts for Vday.

I gave some of these away, and the reviews were very positive!  My kids ate some and loved them.  And the rest went to Olivia's class for their Valentines party.  Since none of them came back, I guess they were a hit there too!  BUT, they are a class of 7 year olds...so any kind of cupcake is always a winner.

On a final and only semi-related note....for Valentines Day, Olivia and I filled little bags of candies for her classmates.  Each bag was topped with a picture of Olivia blowing kisses (I got the idea from my friend Renee's blog).  Then I also brought those decorated cupcakes to her class.

As these preparations were underway on the weekend, the big kids reminisced about their elementary school Valentines...they always had store bought valentines that they had to address all by themselves.  And if I brought treats to the party, it was probably a bag of Hershey's Kisses.

See, that's how life changes when you have only 1 in elementary school instead of 3. 

I offered to make pictures of them blowing kisses to give to their friends, but it turns out that they weren't that interested after all.


7 comments:

Vivian Thiele said...

cute cupcakes! I didn't find the cupcakes too dry... but I didn't keep them in the full amount of time she suggested. Mine were all gobbled up quickly, too. Thank goodness for little kids in the world!

Rachel @ Simple Girl said...

Very Cute cupcakes! Love the x's and o's! It's funny how life does actually change as the kids get older. You have all these great ideas and then no one to make them for! Thanks for baking!

Anonymous said...

Awww. Those cupcakes look so cute. I love your idea about the picture of your daughter on the Valentine's. SO sweet.

Cupcakes and Sundry said...

Great ideas, too bad we both had issues (your's previous). See ya next month!

David said...

You should have offered to send kissy faces of yourself with them to school too.

Renee said...

Oooh, ganache makes everything better! Good call.

I'd love to see your valentines. I was too tired and went to Target for mine.

Roadtrek Girl said...

Very cute for Valentine's Day-too much butter seems to be the overall comment by everyone, but like you said the cupcakes disappeared anyway !