My Kids

My Kids

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Walking

I'm telling this story, because my sister didn't.

As you know, my sister and I meet a couple of times a week to walk. Yesterday, before going, her 6 year-old daughter told her that we should bring her journal from school with us. She said that we could use the journal to record the sights and sounds of nature along our walk. My sister told her that all we ever hear is "chat, chat, chat" as we talk. My nephew piped up and added that we also hear the "wah-wah-wah" cries of the babies. And then the 6-year-old said "And you probably hear a lot of this: (loud, out-of-shape, heavy breathing)" Ha ha, sad but true. Especially on the hills. Then all conversation stops.

Speaking of conversation....

Years ago (too many to count), Colleen and I used to drive to early morning seminary together. She is a morning person - me, not so much. And she would chat! At 6:15 am, she was chatty!! Finally, after days of her not getting the message from my monosyllabic grunts, I turned to her and said (in a tone of voice that is completely appropriate for the pre-dawn hours): "AREN'T YOU TIRED???" Then she got aboard the no-talking-train. Anyway, fast forward to this year and lets take a look inside our van on those mornings when I have to drive Alex to seminary. Again - she's chatty and I'm still not. So far, the radio is working great to keep the conversation to a minimum.

1 comment:

Mother 25 - 8 said...

I work out 3 times a week w/a close friend of mine and my husband likes to tell me that my jaws are thin but not so much my gut and butts. Once we were in the middle of doing planks and we stopped to better chat and some of the "body builders" made fun of us because before we knew it, we were just laying on the gym floor, hands propping our jaws up, chatting away.

But hey, you burn calories for just BEING there!