My Kids

My Kids

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bathroom Etiquette

If you follow a stranger into an empty multi-stall public washroom, I'm talking at least a 5-staller, do you go into the stall right next to them or do you space it out a bit?? I like to leave a space.

The other day at Costco, someone broke that etiquette (which I assumed was generally well understood - obviously erroneously) and went into the stall right next to mine. I was already de-panted, so I didn't move, but I thought...really? No space?

But then I realized that I do have a favorite stall...I'll call it stall # ??. It's my favourite because a few years ago my sister-in-law Beth told me that she had read a study proclaiming this particular stall as the cleanest. So I always use it and I won't share the number because I don't want everyone to flock to it.


Olivia also breaks many an unwritten public bathroom rule. The other day, as she was using the facilities, she exclaimed loudly: "I have hot pee. Very VERY hot pee" I'm not sure but I think that's not socially acceptable.

7 comments:

Bonnie White said...

I laughed so much when I read this post Janine. From your etiquette, to your preferred stall - I read a study too so I suspect we would probably want the same not to be mentioned stall. But I also remembered M announcing in a public washroom when she was about O's age that "I have the pee poops."

dani said...

Janine, that was hilarious, and I have probably read the same study as well and will not reveal the number, but from the sound of it, I'm changing stalls...

dani said...

...on second thought, if it's just you and Bonnie using that same stall, I'm okay with that.

TS said...

Oh yeah, you think breaking the stall rule is bad? The same type of rules applies to urinals--when someone breaks that one it is, well, shall we say unnerving.

Lynne said...

Hahaha, I love this! I once heard a little kid in the stall next to me challenge his mom to a who-can-pee-the-fastest race. The mom obliged, and I couldn't stop laughing.

Humphreys Family said...

Hahahaha. That is way too funny. And yes, i totally agree with the public washroom unwritten etiquette rules.

Renee said...

I didn't know this piece of bathroom etiquette, and I'm trying to remember if I do this or not. I do know that when I'm hard pressed to find a clean stall that's actually stocked with toilet paper, it's mine. I don't care if it's right next to someone else. Although, this isn't usually an issue because if someone goes in before you, they'll snag the clean stall and you're stuck with the pee on the toilet seat stall. Hmmmm.

ps. I love that Christy (above)calls them "public washrooms"! I'm such a heathen.