

I loved living in Houston. I'm not sure if it was Houston itself (perhaps) or just the time of life I was in (more likely). We were young, I had 1 and then 2 babies. Life had no schedules. We had no money - James was in school - but other than that, life didn't really have any major worries.
The best part was our ward - it was filled with young student families just like we were. And about 20 of them lived within a couple of blocks, most of those even within our same apartment complex. And it was a nice apartment. Ours was so bright and sunny all the time, we had a pool (several actually), and all of our utilities (read: AC) were included in the rent. So we had our AC cranked 365 days of the year.
We had so many good friends there - and so many people we could just hang out with on a regular basis - it really was fun.
Just a couple of doors down from us, lived Tyler and Stacey. Tyler and James were like twins then. They both went to UofH, and we carpooled, in our matching cars. Yup, we drove nearly identical sand coloured Mazda Proteges - they had the sun roof and power windows but we didn't. Tyler and James both had similar glasses and matching goatees. So funny.
And now, it's been 11 years since we left Houston, and just this week Tyler was here on business and we got to spend a couple of evenings with him again. And we had a great time remembering old times and catching up on our lives since then. Thanks Tyler for calling us, and Stacey - you have to come next time too!
And look what I found online - our floorplan (you have to click on it to see it in its entirety)! I had forgotten that we had a walk-in closet. I miss it. And the rent is now $845/month. What did we pay?


2 comments:
Thanks for entertaining me during my Calgary visit. It was much better than being "the man in the suitcase." And the Nob Hill apartment floorplan is awesome. I seem to remember rent being $735 and Stacey and I protested when they wanted to raise it to $750. Ah yes, back in the day.
I think we paid $650. We were so poor, yet we had more disposable income back then than we do now!
I loved nob hill. We have never been able to replicate the friendships we made there.
Can you believe we just sold that mazda protege three months ago? Tyler drove that thing for 14 years! He deserves a medal for that.
Some day I will come see you....
Post a Comment