My Kids

My Kids

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oh Canada

Alright, it's easy to love Canada on Canada Day - it's summer, sunny, relaxed etc...

But right now? I need a reminder. And I'll probably look back on this post in February as well. So here's why I love living here:

1. A national mindset of being "the nice guys", of being friendly, and of helping others.
2. A national identity largely based on hockey and Tim Hortons.
2. Our healthcare system. I may have to wait, but I'll always get treatment and I won't be judged based on my wealth or lack there of (just on my personal grooming!)
3. Parkades, garburators, chesterfields, and the letter Zed
4. Butter tarts, Nanimo bars, and poutine
5. A political climate where how you vote doesn't define who you are.
6. Our history of brave voyageurs.
7. The Hudson's Bay Company - our "founding fathers" - and it's a department store.
8. Great schools. And in French.
9. Being Albertan.
10. Edmonton Oilers. And really - Alberta hockey fans (even those mistaken ones who cheer for the Flames) - loyal, proud, and unwavering - even without a Stanley Cup hope...ever.

The price we pay for all this greatness?

Waking up this morning to this:

6 comments:

Barb said...

I was unaware that buttertarts and parkades were uniquely Canadian!

Renee said...

Wow, that's a lot of snow. Brrr, and I agree, all the Canadians I know are very nice people. You're the funniest though, Janine!

Sara and Dustin said...

Oh, the snow. I love Canada dearly - but is it worth it? Seriously, Janine. Is it worth the winters?

Maja said...

Love it! Except on the voting part - you said how you voted didn't define you - I would like to add - How you vote won't make a difference in a federal election. At all. From west of Winnipeg you might as well not exist.... Oh wait, you were doing a list of why you LOVE Canada

b.liz said...

That snow is so beautiful, especially in the thanksgiving photos! You are really making me miss Canada...really.

Kayte said...

Fun to read about Canada and your thoughts on that...I live in Indiana in the US but I love visiting Canada...Quebec my absolute favorite. When we were visiting the first time I was very surprised to learn that St. Anne de Beupre was constructed with Indiana limestone, so it felt like a little bit of home and it has felt like that there ever since.