My Kids

My Kids

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween

I decided to do the MS Cupcake club "extra" credit challenge (and yes, I was the extra-credit brown-nosing student in high school too).

Anyway, I made some "scary" cupcakes...and perhaps they are scary because of my decorating attempts!

I made the Devil's Food Cupcakes (which, coincidentally enough was also the next cupcake in my chronological order), with Swiss Meringue Buttercream icing.

The cupcakes were delicious - hands down my favourite so far. They were moist, they were fluffy, and they were oh-so-chocoaltey. Yum. Yum. When I made the icing, it was fantastic, but I let it sit in the fridge over night and found that it didn't taste as good, and wasn't as fluffy, the next day. James thought it tasted like eating butter right out of the wrapper. I'm not sure if that meant it was good or bad...

So, I made and decorated this cupcake,




And here are my sous-chefs who did the rest.



And here we are ready to go out earlier this evening for the annual candy-grab.




And I don't have a picture of Olivia's school Halloween costume...she designed it herself. She wore a red cape, with a basket, a shiny silver scarf around her neck, and a toy hatchet in the basket. She was "Little Red Riding Hood Fashion Killer". I'm sure all the teachers crowned me as #1 Mom.

Last year, I made a point of mentioning how I didn't eat ANY Halloween candy. This year I'm aiming to eat my own weight in mini chocolate bars. I'm well on my way.

10 comments:

Barb said...

ROFL! Fashion Killer??? Where does she come up with this stuff?

Monica Lifferth said...

Don't you love when you find an awesome homemade chocolate cake? These are sooo cute! Great job!

Unknown said...

I love the witches! They're one of my favorites from the book and I totally wish I'd had the supplies on hand to make them. Great job! Happy Halloween :)

ehjenn said...

Somehow I just found your comment on my blog from forever ago. I miss you!! I can't believe how old your kids are. Just looked back on your blog at all your pics. You are all so beautiful. Fun cupcakes. What a great mom!
Hope everything is wonderful.

Kayte said...

Your witches are so cute...just perfect for those sweet little faces grinning behind them. It was such fun to see your littles in and out of costume...my boys are 16 and 17 now, so the costume thing has been abandoned and I have to admit that Halloween is just not the same! Thanks for visiting my blog, I giggled at the thought of you eating chocolate and loving it...my favorite thing to hit the treat bags for was always the red licorice sticks...yum...none of those for me this year! Great post, I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Love the cupcakes with the cones!

Renee said...

Those look delicious and fun to make! Oh my Martha.

Cindy said...

Cute cupcakes! I'm glad you found a good chocolate cupcake recipe. I'm still searching!
Yes, I think we probably have much in common! Have a great day!

b.liz said...

Those mini chocolate bars are so dangerous! I think the pre-halloween and post-halloween candy has completely done me in this year...I can only imagine if I was eating CANADIAN mini bars. Yikes!

Your kids are darling...oh and James looks pretty scary.

Colleen said...

Good to see that James was dressed up. Was that for trick or treating? I dressed up to take the kids, and Brent thought I should try going up to the door and holding out a bag, to see how many people would give me treats.