My Kids

My Kids

Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Series of Unfotunate Events

Last week I spent the day without kids...so I emptied my purse of all toddler-related items (diapers, soothers, books, toys...)

Then I forgot to put them back in.

Then last Friday night, James was out all evening at an optometry conference and trade show. The 3 big kids went out to eat and shopping with Grandma. That left just Olivia, Will and I home for dinner. Do you think I was going to cook? No way. So the we decided to go to McDonalds, stop at Blockbuster on the way home, put Will into bed, and then Olivia and I would relax in my bed watching a movie.

Back to the series of events...

The big kids left and we were ready to go to. I looked at Will dressed in a slightly stained shirt, pajama bottoms that are just a bit too loose in the waist, and bare feet. And he was sporting a diaper that was already several hours old. But I thought - hey, drive-thru, BBV, home...no problem, so I shoved on his winter boots and out we went.

When we reached McDonalds, Olivia started asking (okay, begging) to stay and eat inside instead of getting our food to go. What the heck, I thought, sure Will looks like a white trash baby, but really, we are at McDonalds, so in we went.

As I was ordering our food, Olivia took Will to sit at a table (okay, after he had already ran around the entire place like 4 times). No sooner did our food start arriving on the tray then I heard a blood-curdling scream. Will had fallen off the chair and split open his forehead.

And that's how our activity of choice became spending 4 hours at the urgent care centre, with Will running barefoot through the waiting room continually hiking up his pants that were threatening to fall right off. Luckily I was able to drop Olivia off at with a friend of mine.

But here's the really, really unfortunate part...and you'll have to remember back to the beginning of the post. I only had ONE DIAPER for Will, that I managed to find hidden away somewhere in my van. So during the multi-hour wait, I saw his wet diaper start sliding lower and lower down his butt. I'm talking major plumber's butt for everyone's viewing pleasure. BUT I waited to change him - because after eating his supper (yes, I did have the presence of mind to get my food to go), I know there was something more than pee in the near future.

And sure enough, about 10 minutes after I finally succumbed and changed a pee-only diaper...he filled the LAST diaper I had with poo.

So that's how I came to be in the bathroom at the urgent care centre scraping poo off a disposable diaper into the toilet and then using paper towels to clean it the best I could before putting it BACK ON MY TODDLER'S BUM.

And that's also how I won the mother of the year award.

Here's Will 4 hours and 3 stitches later.


10 comments:

R. Patton said...

That last grin appears to say "I win".

Maja said...

HAHAHA!! All my kids just came running up asking, "What's so funny, mommy??" Yes -it got them all out of bed. Thanks a lot. But that story is hilarious!! So worth it!

Renee said...

Love that smile! What a stinker.

Sara and Dustin said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry (even though it's so funny)! That is totally the type of thing that could happen to any mother. I would totally justify taking my kids out unprepared like that. Maybe I'll learn from your sad story!

b.liz said...

Tragic AND hilarious! Hopefully he'll have a cool scar in his eyebrow to toughen up that angelic face.

(I can't stop cringe-giggling over the image of you scraping poop out of a disposable diaper! hahaha!)

Cindy said...

As my good friend always tells me after a day like this, "It will make great writing material."

Stacey said...

oh my word! that head looks awful! so you love socialized medicine, do you? four hours in the urgent care? you might as well have gone to the ER with a wait like that. in america, the wait at an urgent care is only 4 minutes. But that won't last long. Our crazy country is on it's way to Obama care. Canada, here we come.

and the poop issue. So funny! I am sometimes so glad we could only have two kids.

Isaura said...

ahhhh...sorry for your unfortunate events. so i'm clueless and didn't put it together that you have five children. love your family pictures and you look great in them by the way!

Kate said...

Poor Will--I hate when I find myself with with no diapers!! Or when I think I can just wait another twenty minutes and then sure enough... leaks.

Kayte said...

First of all, I am very sorry about Will's noggin as that looks truly awful. Second, I can't stop laughing at your plight...it's always funny when it happens to someone else, especially someone who handled it with such a spirited attitude! I remember being in the car and driving down the road when the boys were little and wondering just exactly WHAT was going on in other people's cars b/c they all looked so normal and there was hardly anything normal every transpiring in my own van. It's always fun to get to peek into someone else's life...thanks for sharing!